Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-28-2014, 02:01 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Finnex Heaters

Hey I ordered one of these today as well as a couple of other things I just could'nt wait any longer for and stoked about. Any reviews from anyone would be appreciated. All the reviews i've seen are from a few years ago and not that great.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...ler-Combo.html
Old 02-28-2014, 02:45 AM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

At reef central the "experts" drone on about how they fail etc. I just ordered one myself so I'll let you know.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
At reef central the "experts" drone on about how they fail etc. I just ordered one myself so I'll let you know.
Thanks man. I'll have it hooked up to my controllor as well as the one it comes with. I'm getting some stray voltage from one of the three heaters in my sump now. Out they come and hoping this one will do the trick on it's own.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Worst heater I ever owned. Within weeks I noticed it could not regular the temperature at all. It was very inacurate.

I use it for my salt mixing reservoir only now. It's good for nothing else.

Not saying they all suck. But I should have listened to the poor reviews. I would have sent it back but I ordered from BRS and I would have had to pay return shipping. Not worth it.

Hope yours is better.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

I've run both the digital and analog versions of the Finnex titanium heaters and have been generally pleased with both. I initially tried out a 50 watt digital heater for my small FW planted tank however the digital versions come pre-programmed to power back on at 81F after a power outage. Since I only wanted my tank to run at 76F, this was obviously an issue and ended up causing unnecessary stress to the tank inhabitants following power outages.

All of my finnex heaters since have been the analog versions as you simply set the dial and don't have to worry about the heater coming back on at a temperature that you didn't pre-set.

Obviously if you are using an external controller, you won't have to worry about this anyway but I just wanted to make this fact known as I wasn't aware of this when I originally purchased the digital heater.

The build quality of the heating unit itself looks to be very solid and watertight and I've had no problems whatsoever regulating my water temperature using the analog versions of these heaters.

One of my family members did have a 300 watt unit burn out on them however I suspect that water may have entered the control box as their tank was consistently leaking from the HOB filter.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Yea it appears as though most of the bad reviews are for the 800W heater that I ordered. Oh well, just a couple more months left and heaters are usually unplugged until December.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

I'll be using my Apex to control the temperature as well. I mostly went with this heater because it is much shorter than my JBJ titanium and it will fit in my sump.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
I'll be using my Apex to control the temperature as well. I mostly went with this heater because it is much shorter than my JBJ titanium and it will fit in my sump.
So did you just order the heater or with the controlor as well?
I ordered both with the idea of having my Neptune turning on the Finnex controllor. Looks like a may have wasted some money Well at least I have a spare than, i'm a bit of an equipment hoarder
Old 02-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Azzkr is on a distinguished road

I was going to order thw 800w heater as well but went with two 500w analog ones instead for the same price as the 800w. this way I had a back up
Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

We no longer carry the problematic digital Finnex controllers. The ones we do carry have had a zero% return rate in the 2 years that we have been selling them.

Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Ray

http://www.reefsupplies.ca