Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM

janalta is on a distinguished road
Default Tank crashed - need to replace corals...

So - My poor tanked crashed big time this summer/fall. I think it started as a result of the ridiculously high temps in my house this summer - could not keep it cool enough. ( I know, desperately need to find a chiller before this summer ). Then...the cyano crept in and overtook my whole tank...choked everything out.
All of my corals started dying off, head by head. My gorgeous centre piece Torch ...gone :O( All of my LPS...gone, except for half of one frogspawn. Lost all of them...was left only with my colts and leathers and a few mushrooms.

Finally got rid of all of the cyano, tank is recovering nicely. Strangely, didn't lose my fish - just my inverts and corals. My yellow tang was sickly for a while, but he's back in his full glory again now.

So...I am desperately hoping that I can find some replacement corals and frags....that are fairly inexpensive, since I don't go back to work until mid-March. Lost hundreds of dollars worth this time around, can't afford to go out and get replacements like I would like to.
No SPS...haven't had much luck with them at the best of times.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone is doing any fragging, or has an abundance of anything they don't have room for.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I don't have any frags, sorry
Evaporation will keep your tank cooler than the surrounding air. Quite a bit actually. So you would need to point a fan at the water's surface or in the sump.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:57 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'll help you out with a few pieces, gratis. Not sure when I can get to Kelowna, but I can provide a couple heads of hammer coral, some softies & even some montipora cap frags if you wish.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 AM

Hi Mike...Sorry, thought I'd get an email if there was a post here !

That would be wonderful !!!
If you want to send me a PM whenever you head this way I can meet you.

Thank you !!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Sure thing. I'm headed out for a ski trip next weekend, not sure I'll make Kelowna before that, so could be a while, but I'll keep you in mind & certainly pm to provide heads up. Sorry for the delay!

...ps, if you're interested in a BTA, I can certainly accommodate that.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Sure thing. I'm headed out for a ski trip next weekend, not sure I'll make Kelowna before that, so could be a while, but I'll keep you in mind & certainly pm to provide heads up. Sorry for the delay!

...ps, if you're interested in a BTA, I can certainly accommodate that.
Oh...a BTA would be awesome !
My poor clown tries to host a leather that is hanging from the back wall...but she's bigger than her coral now. LOL