Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough
Default BRS media reactors - input from owners please

Do you run a single or double BRS media reactor ?
If so, do you have issues with air getting into your canister(s) over time? That is to say, does the level in your canisters drop ..... ?

I've bought some Aqua FX single units from J&L and am having issues with the water level in the canisters dropping over a matter of hours
I've double-checked all hoses and gasket/o-ring mating surfaces to be sure there is contact/sealing happening

I can't figure this out for the life of me

If I can't solve this issue, I'm going to buy the BRS ones if they work better

Thanks for your help

Last edited by gregzz4; 01-27-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 AM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

I use a Deluxe Single reactor from BRS. It has worked flawlessly since the day I bought it 2 years ago … and I've never had air enter the reactor.

Its quick to clean and change the media … and the deluxe is built very well, I can't speak about their regular reactors … but the Deluxe Single is a beauty.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:07 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I have the brs dual reactor, been running it for not quite 2 years and I'm not impressed. When I first set it up, the connectors leaked, I contacted brs and they sent me new ones, same issue, so I just lived with it. Right now I think the pump is gone, it's not moving the media around at all, even though it's running. Last media change it was working fine, check a few days later and nothing is moving. Tried adjusting the flow but it's pretty useless ATM.

When it did work, it was fine and notable improvement in water clarity from running carbon. But it's been more of a hassle than anything.

I'll pull the pump out tonight and see if there's something plugging it up that I can't see/ feel while it's running.

The other thing I noticed, that if the flow is too much at first, the carbon gets pushed to the top and will clog the sponge. I've found the only way to fix this is to pull it apart again. Because my connections leak, mine is in my sump so not the easiest to mess around with after cleaning. I do turn the flow down and adjust but i find it pretty sensitive and if too much adjustment, it's clogged.

My opinion, I'm sure others have different experiences.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 AM

1eyedjyde is on a distinguished road

I have been running the brs dual reactor for around 2 years without issues, I do recommend ensuring the sponges are tight to the carbon cause if you increase the flow to tumble the gfo it is too much for the carbon. As far as the quick connects leaking you need to seat them by pushing them in firmly and then pulling back on them. Similar tubing and connectors are used on commercial air brake systems, so they should be reliable.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:23 AM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I have the brs dual reactor, been running it for not quite 2 years and I'm not impressed. When I first set it up, the connectors leaked, I contacted brs and they sent me new ones, same issue, so I just lived with it.
I had read a lot of people having the same issues. This is why I went with the deluxe. Better built, higher quality fittings. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) and mine has never leaked or not sealed properly.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjyde View Post
I have been running the brs dual reactor for around 2 years without issues, I do recommend ensuring the sponges are tight to the carbon cause if you increase the flow to tumble the gfo it is too much for the carbon. As far as the quick connects leaking you need to seat them by pushing them in firmly and then pulling back on them. Similar tubing and connectors are used on commercial air brake systems, so they should be reliable.
Trust me, I've done this many times. Once I get the reactors back in the sump, i can usually fiddle with the connectors to stop or minimize the leaking. My fiance has tried as well with no improvement. I'll move the sponge on the carbon next change and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I had read a lot of people having the same issues. This is why I went with the deluxe. Better built, higher quality fittings. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) and mine has never leaked or not sealed properly.
Nice when equipment works well.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

C'mon people I didn't ask for reviews

Re-read my post

I'm specifically looking for info on whether or not you get air building up over time that causes the water level in the canister to drop

Please stop posting about your experiences with usage unless it is directly related to the level in your canister dropping
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM

No, water level in canister remained consistent, never noticed air in the canister, so from that standpoint it shouldn't be a problem. Disregard the other issues noted and sorry if thread was hijacked
Old 01-27-2014, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
C'mon people I didn't ask for reviews

Re-read my post

I'm specifically looking for info on whether or not you get air building up over time that causes the water level in the canister to drop

Please stop posting about your experiences with usage unless it is directly related to the level in your canister dropping
Me thinks too much caffeine there bud.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 AM

babnika is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

no air hear