Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road
Default Progression of an SPS Tank 2

Brad inspired me with his thread to dig up pictures. Crappy quality cause all these pics were taken with cell phones. But here it is. I've learned a lot and my tastes have changed over the years. I no longer like the look of a super crowded exploded over growing sps tank.

OFFICE SIDE

LIVING ROOM SIDE

Old 01-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Impressive stuff!! I hear ya on the super exploded growth, I'd follow your pattern but just can't bring myself to part with anything. I'm an SPS hoarder lol

I do like the more recent shots, more "artistic" I suppose...
Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM

If I could keep it at the 2010 year forever it would be nice, but then I'd get bored with it cause there's no change. I had the most variety then and the most colours. 2011 and 2012 were just crazy - I was giving so many colonies away cause they were too big causing the stuff under them to brown due to lack of light. It was tough to give away some of the more colourful corals. Those years were way too much work cause I was constantly removing corals so that the whole system wouldn't crash and become one big block of corals. 2013 was nice cause I freed up so much room, allowing corals to get big and take on their natural snap. I finally got the concept of "negative" space. I only have 20 or so colonies now but am perfectly happy cause they are HUGE and it's satisfying knowing that I grew my tank all from 1" frags. Definitely a great journey to be on.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Another gorgeous setup! I love the less cluttered look with the bigger colonies! That clam is massive!

Thanks for sharing! I asked Brad, so I'll ask you, dosing & water changes?? What's your maintenance routine?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I love the less cluttered look with the bigger colonies!
Ya, it's got me thinking
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Another gorgeous setup! I love the less cluttered look with the bigger colonies! That clam is massive!

Thanks for sharing! I asked Brad, so I'll ask you, dosing & water changes?? What's your maintenance routine?
My maintenance routine is to change about 110 gals of water once every month or so, fill the CA reactor when it's empty, feed the fish daily and use the glass magnet every 3 days. We really don't do much other than to enjoy it daily.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
My maintenance routine is to change about 110 gals of water once every month or so, fill the CA reactor when it's empty, feed the fish daily and use the glass magnet every 3 days. We really don't do much other than to enjoy it daily.
Soooo simple, great to know successful tanks don't need to be complicated! Easy to enjoy something so beautiful!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Soooo simple, great to know successful tanks don't need to be complicated! Easy to enjoy something so beautiful!
I made a comment about that last week. It's really simple to not mess around too much, do some water changes and just enjoy.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I made a comment about that last week. It's really simple to not mess around too much, do some water changes and just enjoy.
Haha, yeah, that was your LITFA comment.... Sounds like a good name for your next tank journal

For myself, and many of the rest of us, that is still an illusive dream...
Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 PM

I haven't tested anything other than salinity once a month (when doing water changes) for at least a couple of years. Who knows what my levels are at. Although I don't recommend this way of reef keeping for everybody.