Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Mork is on a distinguished road
Default Mork's Canadian tank adventure

I thought it was time I post my tank journal up here, as I've been a long time lurker in the forums. This has been a great resource for me over the years and I though I would share some of my tank adventures.

I left England 13 years ago as work takes me around the globe. I had been a very keen planted tank enthusiast, but moving around mean that setting up a big tank was out of the question. In 2005 I was living in New Zealand, and saw a friends Marine tank. I decided then to set up a small 3.5 gallon Pico tank with a few corals he gave me.

We moved again and I ended up selling the Pico and setting up a 7.5 gallon Nano that was largely SPS

Then last year we moved to Vancouver, Canada (The wife's Canadian) and I upped the size to a 35 gallon tank that I drilled and added a sump to. This currently looks like this:

This is the first time I've had any 'technology' on a tank such as a skimmer, dosers, and a wavemaker. I've had this running for a year but took my time stocking it due to work being busy mid-year. Now I want to spent 2014 tuning in the parameters and finding a way of getting some good colouring into the corals. I know there's some great people on UR with a wealth of knowledge - I'm hoping with some help that I can get this tank into cracking shape.

Last edited by Mork; 12-27-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

cant see the pic
Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 PM

I thought it was time I post my tank journal up here, as I've been a long time lurker in the forums. This has been a great resource for me over the years and I though I would share some of my tank adventures.

I left England 13 years ago as work takes me around the globe. I had been a very keep planted tank enthusiast, but moving around mean that setting up a big tank was out of the question. In 2005 I was living in New Zealand, and saw a friends Marine tank. I decided then to set up a small 3.5 gallon Pico tank with a few corals he gave me.

We moved again and I ended up selling the Pico and setting up a 7.5 gallon Nano that was largely SPS

Then last year we moved to Vancouver, Canada (The wife's Canadian) and I upped the size to a 35 gallon tank that I drilled and added a sump to. This currently looks like this:

This is the first time I've had any 'technology' on a tank such as a skimmer, dosers, and a wavemaker. I've had this running for a year but took my time stocking it due to work being busy mid-year. Now I want to spent 2014 tuning in the parameters and finding a way of getting some good colouring into the corals. I know there's some great people on UR with a wealth of knowledge - I'm hoping with some help that I can get this tank into cracking shape.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 PM

I decided to be brave and have a go at custom building a sump out of some perspex I had kicking around at work. I'ts a very interesting material to work with. I prefer glass, but getting some perspex skills under your belt allows you to quickly build handy things like sump stands, racks, holders etc.

I cut the pieces to size with a skill-saw. I used a plywood blade and pulled the blade up so it just went through the sheet. This kept the cuts nice and clean. I clamp a spirit level to the table and run the saw down the side of it for a clean straight cut.

I taped it and then applied methylene chloride with a needle squeeze bottle to the edges. At this point it became apparent how important a clean cut was to create a strong bond.

I added some corner braces to add a bit of strength, and then slapped in the baffles. I was working with the bare minimum of space, and had to opt for a U flow sump design so I could cram the Euro-reef skimmer in there, and still have room for an area I could grow chaeto and add a filter sock. In the end I managed to successfully fit it all in.

In the next build, a big sump area is a must. I'd really like to cram a fluidized reactor in there to run GFO, but I would have to sacrifice the fuge area. I'm going to see how I go, but may rearrange this setup.