Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 12-26-2013, 09:03 PM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road
Default Eshopps skimmer sponge

I have this eshopps psk-100h HOB skimmer. I'm looking for some replacement sponges as they tend to fill up quickly and can be a pain to clean and mines getting a little worn out from scrubbing it. If anyone knows where I can get spares or what I can use that would be awesome. I've attached a picture

Last edited by SteveCGY; 01-05-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

fyi you don't really need that sponge imo

i run two of these without sponges

Oceans Creation sells these skimmers and might be a good start for parts
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM

BuschWacker is on a distinguished road

I bought a similar sponge from picses for my remora skimmer. I think it was supposed to be a fluval filter. Only cost a couple bucks.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 PM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
fyi you don't really need that sponge imo

i run two of these without sponges

Oceans Creation sells these skimmers and might be a good start for parts
Yeah not necessary but I find they make all
Bubbles disappear not to mention how filthy they get after a couple days is hate for that to go back in my tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuschWacker View Post
I bought a similar sponge from picses for my remora skimmer. I think it was supposed to be a fluval filter. Only cost a couple bucks.
Thanks I will try look around for that. I wouldn't even mind finding a finer one to trap even more last particles
Old 12-27-2013, 01:40 AM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

You can buy cubes of that same filter material from Big Al's as the JBJ filter sponges for their nano tanks. $5ish I think and then a pair of scissors and some chopping and you've got a filter sponge. Probably for a lower price than one of the "stock" sponges.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

to each their own, but I will add this: the only time I ever had an unexpected overflow, dripping saltwater onto electricals (yes, I made that positional mistake) in using this skimmer model... is that the sponge was clogged and became less permeable and impeded efflux. For a while, the sponge apparently seemed ok but actually it sat a little loose and was lower than snug... and when I topped up my tank, the buoyancy of the sponge forced it to float higher and tighter against the pipe bottom... leading to overflow of the skimmer.

If you like the mechanical filtration, you can get a canister filter, or put the sponge on the intake pipe (take an AquaClear sponge and make a small snip, then force the pipe into the sponge tearing it as you shove it). It will get annoying as it will surely clog every few days or so.

As for the micro bubbles, there will be fewer after a break-in period, and also can be eliminated if you play around with the water level (turn the tapered pipe) such that there is more off-gassing of water within the chamber before outflow.

Hope this provides you with some options... but definitely watch out for that overflow issue. Otherwise it's a great skimmer.