Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default How do they still manage to jump???

I've had 2 wrasses jump on me in the last week. My Lubbock's and red sided wrasse managed to get through the eggcrate and hit the carpet..... I find they do get excited when I feed and jump, but I watch to make sure no one escapes. Buggers......
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Awwee. Sorry to hear that. I had 3 Yellow Coris Wrasses in a row jump on me. It's frustrating that you take the time and care to prevent that stuff and it still happens lol.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I had large wrasses escape though eggcrate. I don't know the mechanics of how that's possible but they got out. I guess it's not surprising because I swear those fish can swim through solid rock so why not eggcrate as well?! .... Seriously, either two possibilities: they fit through the squares; or they hit the eggcrate with enough force to lift it up enough for them to still pass overhead and then the eggcrate falls back into place afterwards ....

Sorry to hear of your losses... I love them wrasses to bits but it's so heartbreaking to find them on the floor.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road

I would recommend maybe switching out your egg crate top, for a smaller holed screen top. One like this....

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalo...d/1810/.....If possible.

The holes are a 1/4 inch and not 1/2 inch. You may not think it would make a difference, buy it might. Couldn't hurt.

You can get the supplies for the frame, at home depot, and the screen possibly from someone on the forum, saving you on the cost.

Its just an idea. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I have eggcrate with mesh on top of my tank and already have had my fish break the eggcrate in 2 places and I think it is either my lubbocks of lawnmower Blennie doing the damage if the mesh wasn't there I think my cats would be having fish food literally
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 PM

I've got screening I guess I could add. The lighting is already affected by the eggcrate so I've resisted adding more to block even more light. But I guess that's always adjustable....

Stupid fish....maybe I'll find some time over the holidays to get something done. If my last 2 wrasses jump before that, then I might just go back to an open top and stay away from them for a while....
Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The clear bird netting should have smaller holes and block less light - and you can do away with the eggcrate altogether..
Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I guess Im guilty now. First for me in a gazzillion years. My beautiful yellow coris was dried up on the floor this morning, despite partial cover on my 20g

So no more wrasses...no sandbed. Maybe back to some Ora orchid dottybacks
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I guess Im guilty now. First for me in a gazzillion years. My beautiful yellow coris was dried up on the floor this morning, despite partial cover on my 20g

So no more wrasses...no sandbed. Maybe back to some Ora orchid dottybacks
Ahh, that sucks, sorry to hear!! Silly fish!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

I also had my solar and carpenter jump within a couple of days of each other in December. I found them on top of the glass cover. they got thru gaps in the deteriorating mesh on the back 4 inches of the tank where all the gear is.
I decided away with the glass top and just mesh in the area between the tank and the canopy. now more light gets in and no more fried fish.

Last edited by pinkreef; 01-03-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: left out a word