Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM

zv3n is on a distinguished road
Default New setup skimmer overflowing week 6

Hi, i recently started a new setup using a small amount of my old live rock from my cube and 80% marco rock, i have a swc 250a1 cone that has been overflowing since day 1. I tried letting it overflow in 5g bucket for 20 gallon to try and remove whatever is in the water. I haven't used chemicals or epoxy.
Skimmer is sitting in 6.5" of water valve is fully open I'm not new to this so i was curious to know if any one has experienced this.

When i replace the water that i skim out (5g x 4 times now) it settles for 45 min but then its starts overflowing again!

Any ideA's?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the air intake to ensure its not blocked? My last new skimmer had some packing insulation fall in the intake. Are you using ro water? I had a issue with tap water and my bubble king never went away till I went to ro water. I assume you have the outlet open all the way.

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Are you using any filter floss in your sump. I found this can also make simmers go nuts
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Have you checked the air intake to ensure its not blocked? My last new skimmer had some packing insulation fall in the intake. Are you using ro water? I had a issue with tap water and my bubble king never went away till I went to ro water. I assume you have the outlet open all the way.
not blocket, ro/di at 0 tds and yes the outlet is fully open. could it be cause of the marco rock.. ?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zv3n View Post
not blocket, ro/di at 0 tds and yes the outlet is fully open. could it be cause of the marco rock.. ?
I've never had any skimmer issues using marko rock. Have you tried cleaning the skimmer body out with vinegar?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I've never had any skimmer issues using marko rock. Have you tried cleaning the skimmer body out with vinegar?

after 6 weeks in the tank ? i dont know if it will do anything othen then kill the slime no?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Platics and O-rings sometimes have an oil on them that is typically water proof, worth a shot if you are still having issues after 6 weeks. Have you tried contacting SWC directly to see what they suggest?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Platics and O-rings sometimes have an oil on them that is typically water proof, worth a shot if you are still having issues after 6 weeks. Have you tried contacting SWC directly to see what they suggest?
im kinda sure its the water chemistry, if i put my hand in the tank for a bit it stop overflowing and actually goes down 4" under the neck. but then it come back. right now its not overflowing by much... i guess either patience or waterchange.. im il be doing another bigger one this weekend..
Old 12-11-2013, 01:36 AM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

My alk got low in my tank because my doser was slipping and my skimmer was overflowing a bit till I got it back up.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zv3n View Post
im kinda sure its the water chemistry, if i put my hand in the tank for a bit it stop overflowing and actually goes down 4" under the neck. but then it come back. right now its not overflowing by much... i guess either patience or waterchange.. im il be doing another bigger one this weekend..
I think this is from our skin oils my bubble king takes hours to get the head back after I reach in the tank.

Are you running carbon? Another thought is my skimmer had a ozone port I never noticed and was always overflowing so I only ran 1 pump then I figured out the hole had to be plugged.

360 Reef Tank