Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-14-2004, 04:58 AM

rwdn is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I'm considering buying Metal Halide lighting for. This whole lighting issue is both confusing and seemingly expensive so I don't want to make too many errors. Any suggestions on a) what I need and b) the best place to look for or buy this equipment?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:34 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

What are the dimensions of that tank (LxWxH), and what is the difference between the middle and the ends?

Also, what is in the tank now, and what do you want to keep?

Thanks, that may help formulate a plan.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:44 AM

DOO-E is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DOO-E Send a message via Yahoo to DOO-E

Lighting dont have to bee bad. I know somebody who has a sebea in the bottom of his 50 galllon. It is a custom built tank. There ia a 28 inch space of water between the halide and the anemone and it survives fine. It used to be kept under 3 55 watt 24 inch pc lights but he changed to a 150 watt halide. He runs 4 watt per gallon. Kepping a condy, rock and a sebea anemone and he hasent lost one yet. Kepp this in mind when buying expensive lights.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

As Alan said, let us know what your long term goal is for the tank, and we can better advise you on lighting issues.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 AM

johnny rock is on a distinguished road

another way to look at this is this, most people eventually upgrade tank size and change ideas of what they want to keep. some people might start off with saying I'd like to keep such and such but change later on[I'd say almost ALL reefers do this!] so spend the cash and start off right. get either a dual 400w MH system or 250w DE system. you can just adjust the height of said lights per tank size. so so many people buy lighting that they just endup needing to sell and lose half there money so I'd say go for it.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:13 PM

rwdn is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting

The dimensions of my tank are as follows: Lenghth = 36"; Width = 12" at the corners and 16" at the bow. Depth is 21". Again, it's a 46 gal bowfront.

I'd like to keep a variety o fsoft corals along with some anenomes.

Thanks again for all the great responses!!!!

Bob
Old 07-14-2004, 04:43 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Glad to help, although there are a variety of opinions here. It will be a trick to cover a 36" spread, as most MH reflectors (including the DE mentioned above) are designed to cover a 24"x24" area. There are some nice parallel reflectors that will hold 2 mogul bulbs and 2 fluorescent actinic tubes as well. You would need to mount the kit inside a canopy.

Another option is to buy a MH/FL or MH/PC hood complete and hang it above the tank. With your depth and size you could run 175's and keep most corals and anemones, or go for 250's and never worry about upgrading. (A note regarding anemones: please don't consider more than one, and only after the tank is well-aged and stable.)

As Brad says, your long-term plans affect this decision as much as the immediate goals. It is difficult to see what will grab your interest once you're bored with softies...
Old 07-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I would agree that 175W is adequate for a tank with those dimensions, and anticipated inhabitants. I myself run a 175W 10000K Aqualine bulb in a pendant above a 36"X18" tank. With the pendant there is no problem covering the 36" length. I am happy with it, but I do not have any real high light demanding corals. One does not necessarily get bored with softies. There are actually folks out there who prefer softies and LPS over hard corals. Having said that I believe you have enough information to guide you.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_I
There are actually folks out there who prefer softies and LPS over hard corals.
I've heard that before....always thought it was one of those "urban legends"!!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:48 PM

Zerandise is on a distinguished road

heh i am one of those poeple. I have given all 5 of the sps i have been given to a friend. They just dont hold any interest for me.

However since i also dont do fish i get my movement from my corals (not that i have much at the moment tank is still too new).

I do a 55 dutch style bowfront with 2x 175w ushio 10k and 2 actinic flours. my tank is 20 inch deep and the 175's do great for it.