Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-10-2004, 09:53 PM

Zerandise is on a distinguished road
Default Scratchs in Acrylic

Anyone know how to remove DEEP scratchs in acrylic?

I am workin on a rather scrated up 140g tank. after MMANY hour i have gotten most of the smaller scratches out of about 1/4 of it. however it has some prety nasty ones still. Novus #3 has taken the edges off them but doesnt seem to be able to eat them all the way.

Any ideas? As well can you use a low power buffer on acrylic for scratch removal? It would really speed things up. removing all the scratchs in a 1x2 section inside and out has taken up a couple hours. to do the full tank will take a few days lo.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:10 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

yes you can use a buffing wheel but it must be a new one, or have only been used on acrylic before, try sanding the scratches out by hand with the black wet/dry sandpaper, try 220, 400, 600, 800, 1200...... then work it with a power buffing wheel and the novus scratch remover creams, be careful not to melt the acrylic with the buffing wheel. when sanding out the scratches, you should sand a much larger area then just where the scratch is so the you dont cause very noticable dips and waves in the acrylic, sanding a larger area makes the repaired area less noticable. hope that makes sense....
Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 AM

Zerandise is on a distinguished road

thanks much.

Any way to fill larger ones? I know sounds dumb. Its has some pok marks that would be better filled than sanded i think. anyway thanks much.