Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Tweeds is on a distinguished road
Default RSM130 or NanoCube 28 LED - Opinions Please

So I am finally ready to take the plunge and purchase a tank. I am on a limited budget so I am going the used route. I have two options right now that are in my budget. A Red Sea Max 130 and NanoCube 28 LED. I plan on stocking with Zoa's and some GSP. I still haven't decided on fish, and based on the size there won't be too many. I would like some input from canreefers that have had either or both tanks so that I can finally make a decision, and stop being wishy-washy.

Thanks,

Tweeds
Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

IMHO I had the RSM 250 and didnt care for it very much. plus with the nano 28 cube u get the LED lighting. and if you wanted to go that route withthe RSM 130 u would have to rip apart the hood to add that LED lighting in. I would do the 28 gal cube.....
Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

pm'd info

in all honesty theres so much more that can be done with the standard all in one designs, concept is now offering a wide selection of custom all in one designs, these can be full setups or tank only and are completely dedicated with keeping a reef in mind , while other AIO's are mass fabricated in another country and are designed for the public as a whole , ours is designed to YOU and what YOU want to achieve in your reef journey

lately weve spent alot of time designing a line of all in ones with some of the best retailers and reef minds in canada and we have came up with some cool custom concepts.

these could be high end or low end and no being stuck with certain dimensions , we have real in sump skimmers,top of the line lighting and can offer great quality equipment to run these tanks.

our AIO's can include

quality skimmers
filter sock trays
ecotech vortech chambers
ATO's
return chambers

and the list goes on including media baskets , built in reactors and all the high end features including one piece euro braces, starphire glass and mirrored finish polished edges.

anyone interested in an all in one design please contact me and we can figure out whats right for you

how about a all in one drop down tank??

cheers

denny
Old 11-19-2013, 05:40 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

To make a suggestion on what YOU want we'd need to know a lot more about your expectations.

If you're asking what me as an individual would like more then I'd go with the 130D. As a total package it is very appealing and I love the exterior designs. I'm not a fan of the T5 lighting, too much maintenance on bulbs, but it wouldn't scare me off. From what my friend has said a person would likely need to swap out the skimmer right away and maybe add a wave-maker if you want the ocean motion.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Definitely the 130 is a better choice in my opinion.however, do do the mods like a better skimmer, add more flow, led upgrade maybe, and a media basket.
The 130d is going to be phased out soon and replaced with a similar product in terms of size and lighting. There are lots of used 130s out there And one can even drill the bottom to do a hidden overflow inside the rear chamber, larger sump in the stand, etc. Have a read thru at reefsanctuary.com for the dedicated red sea tanks. Once you like the hobby, decide upon a bigger tank.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 PM

I prefer the look of the RSM over the nanocube. If I didn't plan on doing any corals other than Zoa and GSP would an upgraded light be necessary?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeds View Post
I prefer the look of the RSM over the nanocube. If I didn't plan on doing any corals other than Zoa and GSP would an upgraded light be necessary?
Nope, and you could get away with most LPS if you don't mind target feeding etc.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Are there many mods I would need to make to the Nano 29? I'm also trying to price out what it's going to cost after I purchase a system.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeds View Post
Are there many mods I would need to make to the Nano 29? I'm also trying to price out what it's going to cost after I purchase a system.

Thanks
There isn't really any "MUST DO" mods to either system. It comes down to what you want to get out of it. Skimmer upgrade is a good idea either way if you are going to run a reef or heavy stocked tank. Light upgrades are dependant on what you want to have in your tank for corals.

It's all up to you buddy. Personally I mod'd the ever loving hell out of my 24g and looking back at the receipts it wouldn't have been much of a jump to get to a RSM130D, which is a much better looking package.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 AM

Scuba Diver Gal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
There isn't really any "MUST DO" mods to either system. It comes down to what you want to get out of it. Skimmer upgrade is a good idea either way if you are going to run a reef or heavy stocked tank. Light upgrades are dependant on what you want to have in your tank for corals.

It's all up to you buddy. Personally I mod'd the ever loving hell out of my 24g and looking back at the receipts it wouldn't have been much of a jump to get to a RSM130D, which is a much better looking package.
Ditto on the Biocube 29…now my son is upgrading to a bigger custom tank. Should have went to Concept in the beginning. Only 2 months later...