Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-09-2004, 02:12 PM

Orion80 is on a distinguished road
Default carnivoris Tang

I just got a purple Tang, and he will eat any type of shrimp that I through in the tank, but it will not touch eith the flake formula 1 or any of the red macro/ tang heaven algae I have growing in my tank, or the green algae I put on a clip for him. Any ideas on how I can train him to eat some of his veggies.

Adie
Old 07-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Yup. Patience. Like you said, you just got him. Green leaves hanging off plastic clips are fairly uncommon in the wild, so it will take a while for the tang to get used to it and recognize it as a source of food. The shrimp it recognizes already.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:41 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

I totally agree.

I had the same problem with a regal tang I had just gotten. As they are herbivores, it wouldn't eat anything but mysis. But Regal was just shy getting used to the tank and did finally realize the Nori won't bite back.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:06 PM

Orion80 is on a distinguished road
Default thanx

Thanx guys, thats pretty much what I figured, was patience, only thing that still makes me curious is that it so far has not touched the red nori I have growing in my main tank, I know not ideal place but it was a hitchiker on some rock, and after much investigateing it does turn out to b a form of tang heaven, so I can only hope he goes for it eventually, otherwise those rocks will get moved into the refuge.

Adie
Old 07-09-2004, 08:17 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld
I totally agree.

I had the same problem with a regal tang I had just gotten. As they are herbivores, it wouldn't eat anything but mysis. But Regal was just shy getting used to the tank and did finally realize the Nori won't bite back.
I hope you are feeding your regal tang food other than algae.
The regal tang is the only tang that is NOT an algae eater and NEEDS meaty foods to survive
Old 07-09-2004, 08:50 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco
The regal tang is the only tang that is NOT an algae eater and NEEDS meaty foods to survive
To keep Regal's healthy they also need to be feed frequent supplements of herbivorous foods like nori and veggies; they will eat algae off of rocks and readily take all sorts of prepared foods, but require a diet high in vegetable matter.

My Regal Tang is spoiled with all sorts of meaty foods, brine shrimp, mysis, krill, squid, etc. But I wanted my Regal Tang to eat his veggies too.

No worries Adie, give some time. Your Tang should come around? How long has it been since you got him? Another idea would be to soak a little piece of Nori in Selcon or even garlic worked great for me. Also hey I noticed your using RED Nori, try GREEN Nori. My yellow tang won't touch the RED Stuff but LOVES the GREEN stuff. Only my Regal Tang will eat the RED Nori. So maybe try the green for your purple tang. Just a thought.

Best of Luck!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:16 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion80
Thanx guys, thats pretty much what I figured, was patience, only thing that still makes me curious is that it so far has not touched the red nori I have growing in my main tank, I know not ideal place but it was a hitchiker on some rock, and after much investigateing it does turn out to b a form of tang heaven, so I can only hope he goes for it eventually, otherwise those rocks will get moved into the refuge.
That's a lovely run-on sentence. You probably mean Gracilaria spp. algae?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 PM

Willito is on a distinguished road
Default blue tang

Just be patience, the best thing to try is to just leave the Nori in the tank and eventually he will eat it. This method worked for me just last week. Don't bother taking the Nori out daily. Now my blue tang can't get enough of it. He's a fatso already. Initially he would only take shrimps.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:52 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

Just to clear up the regal tang debate, as juviniles they are omnivores that get most of their nutrition from algae, as adults they are exclusively open water plankton feeders that rarely consume algae.