Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Question T5/LED help

HI Guys,

I have decided to retire my MH setup and am installing LED's on my display. I already have replaced the three 250 MH with three ai sol Blue, and now my thought is to get two 60" t5 on either side to compliment them. I was going to go with the ATI pink and then a daylight of some sort as well, tank is really blue right now.

Question is, where do you get a 60" retrofit kit that has two bulbs without the LED's built in? the cheap little moonlight LED's are wasted on this tank considering I already have the ai sols. I was hoping to just buy end caps and ballasts, but I can't seem to find them for 80W t5.

any suggestions?

Cheers-MM

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

End caps are not bulb specific. If you don't mind the price, J&L carries endcaps that will work. The only thing to size to bulbs is the ballast.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 AM

I realise the end caps are not based on the wattage, but i was looking for a kit that has the end caps and ballast, the ballast seems to be the missing piece from the kits I have looked at.

GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:08 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Why 60"? Bulbs are often hard to come by and it's still not the full length of a 180 gallon. So instead of 2x60" consider 4x36", much easier to source.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I have some moisture proof end caps & Fulham Workhorse 8 ballasts kicking around if you're interested. I used them to run 48" T5HOs on my tank until I switched to LEDs. Also have the 48" inch reflectors, but they've got a fair amount of salt damage that can't really be removed. I was overdriving the lamps with the Workhorse ballasts, but they can be wired to drive them at close to the rated wattage for a number of different lengths of T5 tubes. It will take a bit of DIY knowledge to wire them up, but I have all the info on the ballasts. Shoot me a pm for more info if you're interested. I realize this isn't the for sale part of the forum, so if I'm out of line, don't be too hard on me!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Why 60"? Bulbs are often hard to come by and it's still not the full length of a 180 gallon. So instead of 2x60" consider 4x36", much easier to source.
HI sphelps, I agree the bulbs are hard to come by, but going with four 36W will inevitably cost more money since I would end up having to buy four bulbs to replace rather than two, also, you end up with end caps and extra contact points that can get salty and corrode. The set up cost of four 36w instead of two 80 W would also be more money. Then to top all that off, you are getting less wattage despite it being spread evenly over the tank.

If I could find a complete set of the 36W, I might consider it if used, in good shape, and affordable, but I would really like to see 60" bulbs staggered across my tank rather than multitudes of smaller bulbs. Ideally, I want four 60W, two on either side, and then the LED's in the middle. The equivalent is eight 36w.

thanks for the input guys.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 PM

chef is on a distinguished road

A little off topic Mill maniac but I also have sol blue. I recently added an ATI blue+ and purple+. You are going to love the addition to your reef. I believe I am finally happy with my lighting. For now anyways,LOL
If you have too much blue going on, try a coral+. Wicked color!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

If you weren't that far away I'd sell you my 6x36" IceCap T5 setup I built. Ice cap ends, reflectors and ballasts. I have been happy with their goods. Maybe you can find some local?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Find someone that will bring this in for you. Sunlight supply is a common supplier.

http://www.saltysupply.com/LET-Miro-...-p/let1111.htm

Saltysupply in the US carries them and they will ship here.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.

Last edited by mseepman; 02-04-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millepora_Maniac View Post
HI sphelps, I agree the bulbs are hard to come by, but going with four 36W will inevitably cost more money since I would end up having to buy four bulbs to replace rather than two, also, you end up with end caps and extra contact points that can get salty and corrode. The set up cost of four 36w instead of two 80 W would also be more money. Then to top all that off, you are getting less wattage despite it being spread evenly over the tank.

If I could find a complete set of the 36W, I might consider it if used, in good shape, and affordable, but I would really like to see 60" bulbs staggered across my tank rather than multitudes of smaller bulbs. Ideally, I want four 60W, two on either side, and then the LED's in the middle. The equivalent is eight 36w.

thanks for the input guys.
2 60" bulbs vs 4 36" bulbs is typically about $25 difference but it can depend on brand and supplier however this is easily saved on shipping if you can't find 60" bulbs locally which is often the case. And yes a grand total of 2W difference in ratting yet 4 36" T5s will produce more light than 2 60" T5s, why? Because florescent bulbs get less efficient the longer they are (you're getting 12 feet of light vs 10 feet so 20% more). While start ups cost may be slightly higher, everything will be easier to source and like you mentioned the opportunity to find used equipment is much better. Also proper installation with waterproof end caps will prevent corrosion issues.
It makes little difference how many bulbs you compare, 2 vs 4 or 4 vs 8, the results are the same. Either way just putting it out there is all. Personally I would never use 60" bulbs again.
Also, not that you should, but if dimming ever crossed you mind, you can't dim 60" bulbs

Tags
180g, 60", led, t5 combo