Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-05-2004, 09:36 PM

Azilla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Azilla
Default Looseing the battle.

hehe well been around 2 weeks with my battle with cyno i think its winning. i clean the rock and sand daily within hours its back i have been puttin a capfull or kents redslime remover in daily and seems not to be helping i do 12gal water changes. But yet after all this BAM its back Uglier then ever. What else can i do to stop this?????

I do not have a skimmer since i ordered one and never got it. Money is tight. I have some carbon in my sump.
Turning my lights off for a day thing that will help??? like if i suck out all the alge and such and kill the lights?? I will continue to battle until i win and yes im usin RO water.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 PM

Mother Reefer is on a distinguished road

I've read that many people have great results with this
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....fd5+1089066264
you should also try to figure out where/why this is starting. Are you using r/o water? how old is the unit if so?

IMO you need to pinpoint where to problem is and solve that because no matter how much you dose if you keep re-infecting the tank you'll keep having the problem.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:48 PM

My RO unit is 3months old or less. I only take maybe 20gals a week out of it. My Handheld TDS meter read 2 sometimes 3 but thats it. But my tank is also new like month old maybe little more.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Azilla,

Great that you're using RO

Was the rock now in the tank cured before it was put in, or is the rock still curing? You might have a lot of dead stuff on the rock that is producing phosphate that is fueling the cyano.

Does your tank have enough water flow to all or most portions of the tank, including the back?

If you have mechanical filtration, do you clean it weekly or more often? Crud that builds up in foams or other filter media will also fuel cyano outbreaks.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 07-05-2004, 10:18 PM

bear27 is on a distinguished road

I have used Chemi clean as stated above and it worked like a charm for me
Old 07-05-2004, 10:37 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

send me your address and Ill greyhound ship you some algone, it will take care of it very nicely.... ask reefhawk, worked for him too....
the algone is on me, you just need to cover the shipping, Ill send it collect, should be a couple bucks max....

I agree with others that you need to address the cause of the problem, but this will solve the unsightly part of your dilema for you...

let me know....
Old 07-05-2004, 10:43 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I know you have prob been asked this before but how long has the tank been up and running?

J
Old 07-05-2004, 11:13 PM

tank is new been like month and a half maybe, Some Rock was cured and alot wasn't. As for Flow i am running 4 maxi Jets 1200's on a wave master pro and have a MAG 950 for my return. Question is Are my Light fueling the problem too???
Old 07-05-2004, 11:21 PM

here are some pictures of my problem Keep in mind i do clean this daily.

www.phatkids.net/alge/alge1.JPG
www.phatkids.net/alge/alge2.JPG
www.phatkids.net/alge/alge3.JPG
Old 07-05-2004, 11:27 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azilla
tank is new been like month and a half maybe, Some Rock was cured and alot wasn't. As for Flow i am running 4 maxi Jets 1200's on a wave master pro and have a MAG 950 for my return. Question is Are my Light fueling the problem too???
Pretty normal for a brand-new tank. Try to keep it from suffocating your corals (blow it off/syphon it out) and it should run its course. Your lighting probably isn't the culprit as this stuff seems to grow no matter what in new systems. That's why it's sometimes tough to keep things until these algae/cyano cycles are completed.