Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 AM

btuck887 is on a distinguished road
Default biocube 29 filtration question

Have had a biocube up and running for about a year now. Currently have carbon and skimmer in chamber 1, bio balls in chamber 2 and just a sponge in chamber 3. Have been doing a little reading and it seems everyone is going with chemi pure, purigen and floss in chamber 2 and removing the sponge from 3.Any suggestions on if switch over will improve water parameters?!
Also, if I am to switch over should I remove the bio balls slowly, say over a week, or is it just fine to take them all out at once?

Thanks in advance !!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

If you have enough live rock you don't need the bio balls. I have read you should remove them slowly so the rest of the system has time to adjust, but I have never had bio balls myself.

Most people are ditching the sponges for filter floss in cubes. You don't "need" chemi-pure or purigen but they don't hurt. Other options are carbon and GFO.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana View Post
If you have enough live rock you don't need the bio balls. I have read you should remove them slowly so the rest of the system has time to adjust, but I have never had bio balls myself.

Most people are ditching the sponges for filter floss in cubes. You don't "need" chemi-pure or purigen but they don't hurt. Other options are carbon and GFO.
I have about 30lbs of live rock, I'm sure that's enough then? I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the tank cleaner. I do weekly water changes of 5 gallons but it always seems to get dirty again after a few days. From reading online it says that the bio balls can just turn into nitrate factory's and effect water parameters.

Last edited by btuck887; 10-31-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 AM

I have read that about bio balls. They need to be kept free of detritus. The other issue, as I have read, is that the denitrifying bacteria in live rock can't do anything with free floating nitrate. They need to break the nitrate down as soon as its made by other bacteria within the rock. So the bio balls break the nitrite into nitrate and the live rock has no chance of breaking the nitrate down.

I don't have the magic bullet for keeping a cube clean. If I did my build thread would have more recent photos, lol. I'm currently doing 5g w/c one to two times a week. Running a GFO reactor. I now am gravel vacing my sand bed as well. I also reduced the amount of live rock I have to improve flow around it and added locline to the one return to direct flow down the back wall.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 AM

I'll start with removing my bio balls. What would u recommend replacing them with? The filter floss, chemi pure and the purigen?

QUOTE=makana;853229]If you have enough live rock you don't need the bio balls. I have read you should remove them slowly so the rest of the system has time to adjust, but I have never had bio balls myself.

Most people are ditching the sponges for filter floss in cubes. You don't "need" chemi-pure or purigen but they don't hurt. Other options are carbon and GFO.[/quote]
Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 AM

I wasn't running anything but floss to remove particles. I'm now running GFO to try and fight algea. What you choose to run depends on what you are trying to fight. What it comes down to is you don't need anything but live rock.

All of the other products you can run are to help fight nutrient build up caused by insuficient maintenance. Basically we fail to remove all the waste and it builds up somewhere and causes issues. So what you run depends on what your issues are. You can also try and fight it with more water changes and cleaning.

You can also look at carbon dosing options. I was considering prodibio. I would rather run no chemical filtration and maintain with water changes alone but it hasn't worked out so far.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Might wanna try a mini Refugium or a HOB skimmer to help with that water unfortunately with smaller tanks algae and water clarity are always an issue some people have great luck with keeping a clean tank others struggle daily with it. I did weekly water changes in my 33 gallon of 20% and I had the added help of a HOB skimmer kept my water relatively clean although I did have a lot of battles with GHA.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM

NU-2reef is on a distinguished road

Is that a yellow tang in a biocube? Uh oh the tang police won't be happy
Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU-2reef View Post
Is that a yellow tang in a biocube? Uh oh the tang police won't be happy
Ha ha won't be in there for very long