Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Herby vs Durso

I'm confused as i've never seen a herby drain in action and have only ran a durso. It has never let me down and I really dont like changing something that is'nt broken. Is it strictly a noise thing? My sump is in the basement so I dont hear anything anyways. Im thinking if I still stay with the herby which is my plan for my new tank I will need to have 6 holes drilled. I dont want to have my returns run up the back and over the top since it will be eurobraced. If I go durso I only need 4 holes drilled. I'd appreciate some feedback on this please and thank you.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I'm confused as i've never seen a herby drain in action and have only ran a durso. It has never let me down and I really dont like changing something that is'nt broken. Is it strictly a noise thing? My sump is in the basement so I dont hear anything anyways. Im thinking if I still stay with the herby which is my plan for my new tank I will need to have 6 holes drilled. I dont want to have my returns run up the back and over the top since it will be eurobraced. If I go durso I only need 4 holes drilled. I'd appreciate some feedback on this please and thank you.
with a far drop like that i would go for the herbie , it allows you to lock all air out of the lines , so would be quieter and less bubbles and agitation from air at the drain exit.

i happen to know where your getting your tank built and can help with design if you like , im sure the other fella wouldnt mind at all if i made you a drawing as im sure he will want one anyways

cheers buddy cant wait to see the new build its nice to have a fresh start after so many years
Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 AM

I was hoping you would reply
I did a little speed reading and it seems guys have some issues with the herby not working right when the return pump is shut off. I do all my water changes in the sump with of course the return shut off. I'm not really in to any hassles especially if power goes out. Is herby drain fail proof?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I was hoping you would reply
I did a little speed reading and it seems guys have some issues with the herby not working right when the return pump is shut off. I do all my water changes in the sump with of course the return shut off. I'm not really in to any hassles especially if power goes out. Is herby drain fail proof?
What kind of problem? I run herbie on my tank and I always do water change from the sump by turning off the return and turning it back on after the change and it takes around a minute or so for the overflow to get back to its old settings. The trick that I found to work for me is to have a small trickle down the emergency drain; otherwise, you might have to adjust the herbie's level from time to time which is a bit annoying.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

+1 , slight trickle down the emergency tube does the trick.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
What kind of problem?
Kind of what you just posted. I hate having to fiddle with things if I think it's all set. So setting the gate valve has nothing to do with sump volume or is it just for the tank? I have my pump throttled back quite a bit and like the water in the sump to stay ther a little longer so it's skimmed better. The more I open up the flow on pump the faster the water is out of the sump. Make sense? So tweaking both will be a PIA There's times i'm sent to go work out of province and don't need the stress while away and well, my wife just likes to look at he tank and feed the fish. I wish I could see one of these systems in operation. I like how waynemah has drilled his eurobrace for his returns. I might go that route. Looks clean.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

I am by no means an expert, but thought I would share my experience with the herbie. I found that if your return is adjusted so you get a smooth flow over your overflow it is quite easy to adjust the gate valve to give you a nearly silent tank. I have the sump under the tank, with the tank in the living room. The loudest noise is the hum of the skimmer, second loudest there return pump (a speedwave), and finally there is an slight water trickle noise as the water flows into the filter socks. The drain itself is silent. As the others have mentioned I have it set so a very small trickle goes into the second drain. This makes sense to me as either the main drain is adjusted absolutely perfectly so the level never changes, or the level in the overflow slowly rises or falls. If you set it so it slowly falls, you will get a lot of noise once you get the water spout. If it slowly rises, the second drain takes the very slight trickle quietly as it pours right down the inside of the pipe. I can turn the return off and not once had to readjust the gate once the return pump is started.

So the advantages I have found are silence, ease of operation, and no bubbles in the sump.

- Ian
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If you do run herbie keep in mind you'll need two separate drain lines all the way to the basement sump. You can't at any point tee the primary into the back up.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I run a herbie. It's set and forget. Never had a issue with levels
Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I run a herbie. It's set and forget. Never had a issue with levels
+1 me too. with a trickle down the emergency