Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-28-2002, 09:55 PM

Mak is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

Anybody have one of these? I've had mine for a few months, yesterday I noticed he looked awesome the best I had seen him. Today he kind of dissapeared into his big slime patch (whatever it is) and now he is out a doesn't look to happy. I'm keeping an eye on him. By the way what do you feed yours? Mine sends out his tentacles and gets anything going by him. No direct feedings here but I'am thinking about it! ;)
Old 03-29-2002, 01:13 AM

Default Tube Anenome

In case anybody was curious he's back to looking awesome again :D . Guess he was just doinh some care taking or something :cool: .
Old 03-29-2002, 03:26 AM

ruck'n'reefer is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

Mine opens up at nite! He only opens up a little during the day. But he does disappear from time to time. I don't feed but he looks healthy.

Is your's buried in the sansbed? Did you remove the cocoon? sp?? What colour is yours? Mine is purplish.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:52 AM

Default Tube Anenome

Hey R'N'R, My guy opens up 80-90% during the day and opens fully at nite. When I put him in my 75g I put him on the SB but he just attched about 1" above on my rock and stayed there for 3 months but he is now in my 20g with the rest of my corals(75 is down thanks to red planaria, gonna re set it up soon). I only found out what he was a couple of weeks ago, the LPS told me it was a tube worm and I bought it for $14 :cool: . I decided to feed him half a Silverside today, I accidentally dropped the Silverside too far from it but a couple tips of its tentacles caught it and pulled it up and ate it(holy crap are their tentacles strong :eek: ). I think I'm going to start feeding him once a week or so. He is a pinkish orangish colour with cool orange flourescent stripes on each of his tentacles. And no I didn't remove his cocoon he just completly went inside it. I couldn't see even a spec of him or even part of a tentacle it looked like he was complety gone :eek: , but then he was there again not looking happy :( , an hour later he was looking awesome :D .
Old 04-21-2002, 12:12 AM

Default Tube Anenome

Tau in addition I have feed my Anenome twice since the original post and he seems to have almost doubled in size, I've given him to half silversides and i'm goin to start feeding him at least once a week. They like Iodine so I dose my tank once a week. Do a search on google.ca for them there is lots of pic's and everything you need to know on them there.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:31 PM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

Thanks for the help. I will do the search as suggested, I was just looking for some real life experiances with these creatures. I find tales told are more valuable than reading text book facts.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:26 AM

Location: Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/)
Biogeek is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

For what it's worth, "tube anemones" are not even related to anemones, and are actually in the group that contains black corals. I have a detailed description of the biology and care of these guys online here. If that post doesn't answer your questions about the animal, let me know and I'll try to answer any other questions you have about them.

Rob
Old 04-22-2002, 10:44 PM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

Thanks Rob, that was a very good article.

The LFS that I deal with on a regular basis has one that has a flourescent green centre with white tenatcles about 3" to 4" long - very attractive animal.

Since you mention that it should receive fresh/frozen food on a daily basis I will wait until the summer holiday season is over before purchasing this type of anenome.

Question:
You mentioned placing the anenome into a PVC Tube to help secure it's location. How big should this pipe be relative to the size of the anenome?

Thanks for yours and everyone elses help with this question.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:29 AM

Location: Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/)
Biogeek is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

Well, the tube "anemones" that I keep (Pachycerianthus)are not nearly as pretty as some of the ones that you find in the pet shops, but I just stuck one of our smallest animals into a bare tank and took some pics for you to get an idea of the size of the tube I'm using.

Side view:

Top view:

The sand that I've used to fill in around the animal's fiber tube is CaribSea Aragamax. The animals seem to do best when fed at least every other day with PE Mysis which can be purchased from a number of mail order companies. Like most soft-bodied marine invertebrates, they can withstand reasonably long periods of starvation by digesting themselves and shrinking, but the more regularly they are fed, the happier they will be.

Rob
Old 09-03-2002, 09:51 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road
Default Tube Anenome

Would like to know how everyone's tube anemones are doing especially if they are in tanks with fish. I saw a few recently in a LFS and they were gorgeous. Read that they have very powerful stings but others say that they don't have powerful stings. Anyone kept them with small fish like neon gobies? Any problems?