Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road
Default DIY LED questions

Ok its time to replace my PC bulbs again in my 29G Biocube... They are never cheap so I think its time to upgrade to LED's. With the birth of my baby girl and needing to buy a house I can't afford to buy a $600 LED fixture and a $1000 aquarium controller to drive it

I have been on Rapid LED's website and they make a retrofit kit to setup me up with LEDs, fans, drivers, wiring, ect. but it requires a controller or a dimmable driver... I would prefer a controller with an auto top off function (since my Tunze just crapped out) and maybe a few other functions but I am not looking for every bell and whistle. What are my options?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Neptune Jr + RapidLED Retrofit is a great solution.

I am very very happy with mine
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Do you need a controller with those LEDs? Couldn't you just put them on a timer for on/off cycle? No bells and whistles there :-)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 AM

What all is required to connect the Apex Jr to the LED's? Did you get the pwm version or the 1-10V analog?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Do you need a controller with those LEDs? Couldn't you just put them on a timer for on/off cycle? No bells and whistles there :-)
I just noticed that the non-dimmable version mentions no controller and the dimmable version requires controller and 10V adaptor. So my next question is with the dimmable can you modify the colour/brightness? Will the Apex Jr allow sunrise/sunset?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 AM

apex jr controller $230, apex vdm module $105

the vdm module has 4 variable outputs that use 0-10vdc. ie; you could control 2 or 3 led drivers and a tunze pump.

Yes you can create fading sunrise and sunset by defining a 'ramp profile' in the apex web interface. It uses a scripting language to define the logic of each port or outlet, it's really fun.

It all adds up, but at the end of the day a controller is a really nice luxury to have. Temp control (can do seasonal tables), feeding mode, ato, data logging, and one and on it goes.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Ya, I LOVE my Apex!! And you can log in remotely, I can access via my phone in town, or when I'm in camp and check temps etc, It also emails alarms and txt them to you

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM

How does it compare to the Reef Keeper Lite?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
How does it compare to the Reef Keeper Lite?
Personally I don't think they are in the same league to compare.

There is also a major update being released for all apex controllers, which was announced at MACNA -- http://reefbuilders.com/2013/08/30/a...g-integration/
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Antrias is on a distinguished road

Based on your cost I recommend:

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-2...trofit-kit.htm

I bought StevesLEDs for my 30 Gallon setup and they are top notch quality .

This package will give you an option to do it all from scratch yourself - if you are up to the work or pay $80 extra and have all the hard work done for you. I built my own from scratch and if I wouldn't do it again - was just a pain in my ass haha. Depends on how much work you are willing to do...

This system doesn't require a controller - comes with potentiometer for adjustments which is all I use.

However if you want your controller for doing ATO stuff then I don't have much of a recommendation as I have't tried one yet. I basically went the the highest quality LED route while trying to save as much money as possible so I haven't done ATO.

Something for a controller - if I was to buy one - I'd get Reef Angel: http://www.reefangel.com/order.aspx

I like it because I am a computer guy and can program it to do whatever I want and it's expandable to do anything you want. So you can start cheap and eventually expand it to be expensive / extensive.