Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 AM

TRUONGP15 is on a distinguished road
Smile Blotched anthias

Just wanted to start this new thread about these amazing little guys. I've been doing my due diligence with as much research as I can about them before I pull the trigger and grab some for my tank. My understanding is that these guys are not the easiest kept and do go for a hefty price. I've also heard they were seasonal as well and come a bit cheaper during certain times of the year when there are more around... I hear the prime season to find these guys are around November? If anyone can confirm this. Also if anyone knows the best place to purchase these guys for a good price in the greater toronto area... As much info about these guys is much appreciated as well as where is the best place to get them.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Vendor

MadJellyCorals is on a distinguished road

RR had them in!!! talk to jay he might be able to order some more for you. The last order Taipan and Bigshow grabbed them quick

~Tony
Old 09-29-2013, 07:24 AM

Yeah I was there at RR a few weeks ago and he told me to look up bigshow frags (who apparently bought them all). Wasn't sure how much they were going for at RR but bigshow marked them up to 300 per fish... Kinda steep when you're looking to buy a group of them..
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM

thmh is on a distinguished road

Honestly I prefer Bartlett and dispar mix or sunburst anthias over any other.

~Tony
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

They fight as they get older, so I'd stick to one or two.

*I use to have four of them. Then I had two. Then I had one.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUONGP15 View Post
Yeah I was there at RR a few weeks ago and he told me to look up bigshow frags (who apparently bought them all). Wasn't sure how much they were going for at RR but bigshow marked them up to 300 per fish... Kinda steep when you're looking to buy a group of them..
Maybe you should inquire with BIGSHOW and ask for what kind of price he can do on a group of them?

Price can be reflective oflosing a few due to swim bladder issues which is very common. Do you want to pay $200 and risk a swim bladder issue? Or a higher price and be guarenteed there healthy?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrologist View Post
Price can be reflective oflosing a few due to swim bladder issues which is very common. Do you want to pay $200 and risk a swim bladder issue? Or a higher price and be guarenteed there healthy?
Listen to this man! Collection of this fish can be extremely variable. Probably not something you want to hear when you have a bloated/dead wisp of a fish in your QT system.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:50 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Listen to this man! Collection of this fish can be extremely variable. Probably not something you want to hear when you have a bloated/dead wisp of a fish in your QT system.

Thanks Al!

A lot of time you can't point out the swim bladder issue until a few months after you get them.

You are also correct about small groups, not a good idea unless you have a Large tank and lots of rock work. I keep 8 in my 225 and they seem to do well, 3 larger ones keep tabs on the rest of them.

A good Anthia to keep by itself, not shy at all.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I had one and I loved him! he was fine for months, then developed swim bladder problems. Mine would feed from the surface whenever I fed flakes, just like a if mouth bass. I don't know if he swallowed to much air feeding that way, or if it was his swim bladder. He lived for years with the problem.. He coped well and would auger himself in a rock or something to keep from surfacing..I called him Bob
Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrologist View Post
Maybe you should inquire with BIGSHOW and ask for what kind of price he can do on a group of them?

Very true! I've learned the hard way that its always better to spend a bit more to get quality rather then just paying the cheapest amount possible. However i do find that $300 is just too much to pay per fish. At the same time I've both read and heard that swim bladder issues could take some months to develop even though they seem perfectly fine for the first little while. With this particular fish I'm not really sure the higher price means it's guaranteed to be perfectly healthy but I guess thats the risk that comes with getting a deep water fish species...