Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 06-27-2004, 04:12 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Pacific Coast Chiller

So I finally fired up the new chiller tonight. Very easy to hook up, easier to configure and the temp probe is built into the unit so I can put the chiller remote from the tank.
Several people warned about the noise from these things, but I can hardly hear it. It isn't silent, but certainly isn't going to disturb me even with it being in the livingroom.
I'll update this in a few days, once it's had a chance to chill and stuff.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:21 AM

DOO-E is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DOO-E Send a message via Yahoo to DOO-E

Chillers are expensive i hpe this works out for you. But i guess they are cheaper than replacing your fish inverts and corals when they all die because your tank it too hot. Good luck with it and lets hope i dont have to buy one it might break my wallet good luck
Old 06-27-2004, 05:52 AM

reefer_11 is on a distinguished road

You'll like it Brad. Good chiller. I run mine indoors in the winter to heat my place. Outside in the summer.

And it is quiet enough to have indoors. Quietest I have heard.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Darren, I'm not sure that I'll get full appreciation for the heating the room feature, but so far it's dropping the temp quite well for the fishies.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:19 PM

I am not talking heating the room.. I am talking apartment..

and your fishies will love ya for it. So will BC Hydro...
Old 06-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Just a guy..

So far the heat isn't bad at all. I find though that the temp on the unit says 79, but the actual water temp is 80.5 (w/lab grade thermometer). How accurate is yours? Do you know if it's adjustable too?
Old 06-27-2004, 05:50 PM

mine goes the otehr way. Tank temp is 78.9. controller says 80. Tho I am not using a lab grade thermometer..

and I thought it was adjustable. somehow. darned if I can't find the manual now.. or where I had read it..
Old 06-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Just a guy..

Default Update

OK, so here is the results. To qualify these, here are some details. Before the chiller, my tank would hit 89 F at the end of the day running 2 x 400w MH, 10 inches off the water. This was using a high output fan across the top of the tank. Canopy open 24/7. Total water volume, ~150g.

I added the chiller on Sunday. I lowered the MH lamps to 5 inches from the water, added a third 400w lamp (same height), removed the fan and closed up the canopy. My tank starts the day at 79.8F. So far, the water temp has not gone over 81.7 at the end of the day. This makes me happy.

The chiller does add heat to the room, but I've located it under a large open window. The noise is about the same as the fan I removed, so a net change of 0 for noise.
Overall, I am happy with this product and would recommend it for tanks up to 180g as suggested by the manufacturer.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:17 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Update

What size or model number do you have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
The chiller does add heat to the room, but I've located it under a large open window. The noise is about the same as the fan I removed, so a net change of 0 for noise.
Overall, I am happy with this product and would recommend it for tanks up to 180g as suggested by the manufacturer.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:40 AM

kari is on a distinguished road

Just to add to Brad's observations, mine is doing fine on a 195gal ( no canopy, 2- 250watt halides, 2-110 vho, 2-40 no, swack of pumps, no open window and located in the basement. The unit only kicks in when outdoor temp gets to 27c . Whole basement get hot when it kicks in. I need to make myself install an exhaust fan. The chiller has been in use over one year with zero problems.