Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 PM

kookie_guy is on a distinguished road
Default Sunpark ballast question

Hi all,
These ballasts came out of a Current USA outer orbit fixture that was retrofitted for T5's. The PC bulbs used to be 4' at 130w. Is this ballast still usable with a 96w bulb? Or any other bulb? Or are these pretty well garbage?

Last edited by kookie_guy; 09-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Google the lamp type listed on it and that'll tell you all the bulbs you can use
Old 09-07-2013, 08:52 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'd say the manufacturer of the ballast would be the best source for that kind of information. Looks like their web site URL is printed right on the ballast.

I had a quick look & according to the specs on the mfg site, the ballast is actually rated at an input wattage of 98 watts. Going by the lamp numbers listed, it looks like the ballast run either a 125 or 130 watt. Too bad they don't have any info on wiring different type of bulbs on their site though. I used some WorkHorse ballasts for T5HO flourescents before my LED fixture & I could use them on different wattage lamps based on the number of red wires used. For lower wattage, you would simply cap off extra red wires. You may be able to do the same with these ballasts, but only the mfg will be able to confirm that for you. Looks like these ballasts are designed for T8 lamps. If you had a pin out diagram, you could conceivably cut off the PC lamp connector and use the ballast on any number of T8 fluorescents, perhaps even T5HO.

http://www.sunparkelectronics.com/pu...358d7c4e38b8d9

Last edited by mike31154; 09-07-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 PM

kookie_guy is on a distinguished road

Each of the ballasts used to run a 48" long, 130w square pin PC bulb. I changed them out for my buddy from his fixture and replaced them with T5HOs. I have these sitting in my basement. I have no use for them as I'm all LED. Anyone want them? Free local pickup, or pay shipping, lol.