Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 AM

scuba ken is on a distinguished road
Default Corallife 300 cone skimmer

So I have a coral life 300 cone skimmer, that works lovely for about 3 days, but then just flows over and floods my sump.

Looking for reasons why guys ? The tank is 12 weeks old, I have no clue why it's doing this, I have never seen this before on any other tanker any other skimmer, the water level know is set to its lowest, the 2 air screws are open, closed, in between and all other settings.

This just blows gallons and gallons of water through the collection cup.

I am quite prepared to return this, I just don't see howit can be so wrong,mthere is nothing really to it mechanically ?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Have you dosed anything in the tank? Many chemicals used for treating problems like algae cause skimmers to go haywire. So do many reef glues and epoxies. Try running some carbon in filter bag for a day or two, then try to adjust your skimmer again.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM

scuba ken is on a distinguished road

Your 100% right, but unfortunately I haven't dosed anything through the tank for at least a month, 6 weeks.
The skimmer works well for 2 or 3 days, then goes crazy, and just pushes water through itself.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Take a close look at the amount of buildup on the neck of the cup. Some skimmers will build up a very thick coating on the skimmer neck and after a few day a large chunk will fall back into the skimmer and the skimmer overflows because of the large amount of DOC's hitting it at once. If this is the case you just have to clean the collection cup more often.