Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Phil is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone useing a tamron 90mm macro lens?

I'm looking at a new macro lens and am wondering if anyone has used a tamron 90mm f2.8?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I have the 100mm f2.8 macro lens on my Nikon. I got it on Kijiji for an amazing price and it didn't even look like it ever got removed from the box. It is a solid build with no play in the barrels, has good bokeh and fairly fast AF but I usually end up using manual focus. The VR on the Nikon equivalent would have been nice but I'm usually outside or use a tripod (takes excellent portraits) and at 1/4 of the price of the Nilkon I can live without VR. The only gripe I have is that the AF motor is a little noisier than my Nikon lenses. I don't know specifically much about the 90mm macro but I would assume the same quality and sharp photos, Tokina is IMHO the best 3rd party lens mfg.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm looking at a new macro lens and am wondering if anyone has used a tamron 90mm f2.8?
I dont own one but they are a very popular lense.....good value I think and they do take amazing macros.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 AM

Phil is on a distinguished road

Ya I'm going to do some reading tonight on them but at $400 new there not badly priced.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I got one recently and REALLY like it! Nice colour and the Bokeh is so nice lots of guys use them for portraits! At $400 you really can't go wrong with this lens!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I got one recently and REALLY like it! Nice colour and the Bokeh is so nice lots of guys use them for portraits! At $400 you really can't go wrong with this lens!
+1
I have it and love it , greats lens for the price.
Here are a couple of pics with it
Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road

I just bought this on Wednesday. It's pretty nifty!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

I'll throw in the dissenting opinion for what it's worth!

I'm a Canon fanboy and I love their glass. Is this for a Canon camera? Nikon, Sony, etc?

If it's a Canon I'd look at the Canon 100mm prime macro. It used to be in their L-Series but they dropped it down to their regular line to promote their new (at the time) zoom macro. The glass is outstanding and the lens is very high quality. I've taken some outstanding shots with it.

If it's not for a Canon then don't worry about it because it will suck anyway. (baaazinnnnggggaaaaaaaaaaa!)

Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road

That was what I wanted but I got a great price on the tamron so I sucked it up.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 PM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
I'll throw in the dissenting opinion for what it's worth!

I'm a Canon fanboy and I love their glass. Is this for a Canon camera? Nikon, Sony, etc?

If it's a Canon I'd look at the Canon 100mm prime macro. It used to be in their L-Series but they dropped it down to their regular line to promote their new (at the time) zoom macro. The glass is outstanding and the lens is very high quality. I've taken some outstanding shots with it.

If it's not for a Canon then don't worry about it because it will suck anyway. (baaazinnnnggggaaaaaaaaaaa!)

Come on man, you know just as well as I do by saying something like that, your not convincing anyone. It makes you look like your trying to justify your purchase of the 100mm, which is a fine lens, but has nothing to do with the post. And how is this helping him?

I have used the 90mm, its slow to focus, and its noisy when focusing, but its sharp and its a huge savings over a canon or a nikon equivalent. I picked one up as a secondary lens, lightly used for $250. I use it while I'm climbing/mountaineering, just in case I take a fall or dump it in the snow, its not crazy to replace.