Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM
91Atrac

Default Why are bubbles coming from everything

K so been having this problem awhile now and starting to think it might be the dry filter food I'm feeding. It's New life spectrum filter feeder food but it expires in November it says.

This happened after I was at a drift show yesterday. WORRIED!!!!! It has happened before and been a week it's been happening. Sponge is starting to get grey in colour so in thinking its toast now but not 100% and the issue needs resolving! Using tap water but started this weekend on using RO by doing a water change and now too off water too.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Film algae produces oxygen bubbles like this, its entirely natural for your tank. If you want them to disappear increase your flow.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 PM
91Atrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Film algae produces oxygen bubbles like this, its entirely natural for your tank. If you want them to disappear increase your flow.
I try blowing them off. So it's not a bad thing?!?!? Even for the sponge? I have increased it with the power head and I regularly blow off the rocks of sediment and whatever else. I did squeeze the sponge clean the other day too... Maybe bad idea? Not saying its just the sponge doing this haha but just stating what I've done.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 PM

typezero is on a distinguished road

Yea its film algae, and the photosynthesis releases oxygen. You are going to need o increase your flow fo sho. But the root of the problem is you got some excess nutrients. So switching to ro would help if your tap water has any phosphates or nitrates.
The air bubbles from the algae may get trapped in the sponge and cause a clog in their water ways, causing them to starve due to them being filter feeders.
When i say more flow i generally mean more all around flow around your tank and not 1 giant power head blasting 1 area type of flow.
Hope this helps

Last edited by typezero; 08-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
91Atrac

Hahhahahaha! The power head is blowing the largest area in the tank and clashing with the flow I have behind the rocks. What il do is just remove the direction fitting on the power head and see if it helps... Hope the sand won't blow around too much.

I know the sponge isn't happy with the bubbles and I know the troubles air can cause. Just hope it survives. Ill do another water change today tho.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

If its an consolation I have been doing this 7+ years and I won't even attempt to keep Porifera, not an easy organism to keep happy by any means.

How long has your system been running for? As said its an indicator of higher nutrients.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM
91Atrac

I e increased flow and ill keep this thread posted on the progress
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Atrac View Post
K so been having this problem awhile now and starting to think it might be the dry filter food I'm feeding. It's New life spectrum filter feeder food but it expires in November it says.

This happened after I was at a drift show yesterday. WORRIED!!!!! It has happened before and been a week it's been happening. Sponge is starting to get grey in colour so in thinking its toast now but not 100% and the issue needs resolving! Using tap water but started this weekend on using RO by doing a water change and now too off water too.
Shouldn't be the food. New Life Spectrum is fantastic food that is designed not to do that unless ur dumping in 1/4 canister at a time! I run nanos and dry foods ie, flake, pellets are the way to feed, as they won't degrade and pollute substantial amounts before a CUC gets to them....
Tap water=nutrients=problem....
Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 AM

jonn46 is on a distinguished road

My tank did that for awhile when I switched to LEDs, it seemed to settle down after a week or so. I never saw it again.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 AM
91Atrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonn46 View Post
My tank did that for awhile when I switched to LEDs, it seemed to settle down after a week or so. I never saw it again.
Well hopefully it settles after the tanks fully RO. Should be pretty close now.