Phone: 403-9238517
1031 40 Avenue NW
Calgary, AB T2K0G2
Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 PM
91Atrac

Pretty
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Very nice Angus, what the going price per pony?

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 AM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to get my 20 gallon up and running. I want seahorses
Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

They look to be pretty small to be for sale as they don't even appear to be sexually mature yet, meaning failure rates will be higher.
Reef-keeper, the minimum recommended tank size for a pair of seahorses is 29g, with an additional 15g for each additional pair.
If you check the links at the BOTTOM of the "My Thoughts......" link in my signature, it will lead you to information that is best you have before you get into seahorse keeping.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef-keeper View Post
I'm hoping to get my 20 gallon up and running. I want seahorses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
They look to be pretty small to be for sale as they don't even appear to be sexually mature yet, meaning failure rates will be higher.
Reef-keeper, the minimum recommended tank size for a pair of seahorses is 29g, with an additional 15g for each additional pair.
If you check the links at the BOTTOM of the "My Thoughts......" link in my signature, it will lead you to information that is best you have before you get into seahorse keeping.
Yes Rays write up is a must read if you want to get into seahorse's. I have read everything Ray has suggested & it's well worth the time. We have had our pair for 6 month now in a 60 gal cube. Had 3 batches of babies, one seahorse got an infection but better now & tank temp issues. Thankfully Ray has been there for me to pick his brain.

BIG THANKS again Ray!!

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 AM

I'm actually looking for dwarfs for the 20 gallon. But I was informed that a 20 gallon might be too big. Is that true?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM

Yes, a 20g is too big for any dwarf tank unless you are wanting to keep about 100 or more of them, and it's too small to keep any standard sized seahorses that we see here in Canada.
Dwarf seahorses would get lost in a 20 because of their size. You could put a few on a loonie.
The REAL reason though its because of their feeding habit, which is to MOSTLY sit perched on a hitch and wait for their food to pass by close enough to snick without leaving the hitch. While some may hunt a little food, it won't be enough for them to survive.
This means that the density of enriched baby brine shrimp in the tank must be very high, and, then it needs to be removed one way or another before the next feeding, so the amount of waste would be extreme.
If you DON'T remove the food, they end up snicking nutrient poor brine that again can lead to shortening their already short life span.
Dwarfs on average live about a year and a half, whereas their larger cousins can be living 5 to even 10 yrs if conditions are kept ideal for them.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Seahorses.

Ok then I will leave the horses for my 135 gallon I'm trying to get on the go. What would be a good fish for this 20 gallon I have?

Last edited by reef-keeper; 08-31-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 AM

Can't help with the 20 as I've never set up a tank that small other than my smaller dwarf tanks.
Be sure that you check out all the seahorse needs before you get too far in your planning for the 135.
i.e. - no stinging corals or anemone, corals that can live with the cooler temperature range of 68° to 74°F that give best chances of success with seahorses, preferably a species only tank, but if you ARE going to have other fish, realize there is a risk, even if you go by the tank mates list of acceptable stock.
No unprotected overflows or power heads, and no direct blast of water that can force them against anything and do them damage.