Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
The floor in my basement is simply presswood that has numerous coats of wax applied. It has been there for about 5 years and cost very little to do. It actually looks very good and almost everyone that comes in asks what the floor is. We cut grooves in the floor so it looks a lot like a cork floor.
Photos?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 AM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

PM me your e-mail and I can send you some.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 PM

PM with my email has been sent.

The order for the tank stand is in! ETA is really soon! I was totally expecting two or so months! Although now I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement! We asked for, well I asked for, Hot Pink, Fire Engine Red, or Black as the stand colour. I honestly don't care, its a cool option and I'll take anything I can get. These sands are beautiful!

The stand is going to be 10.5ft long x 3ft wide x 3ft high (technically 34" to allow for plywood and foam) The 10.5 length corresponds with the largest length of glass we can get. The tank will have to be built onsite.

The stand will be made into two sections 10.5ft x 18" wide to allow it into the house. This is the path its going to follow. The stand dimensions also mean I might be able to stick with my luminarc reflectors!!!

In our backdoor

Through the kitchen

Down the basement stairs

Through the wall, yes, we'll be taking that out.

And into place!

This is our current electrical panel...obviously it needs to be changed out regardless of if we were putting a tank in or not. We'll be asking our power company to move the meter outside so they can do drive-by meter readings.

The rats nest going on above the panel

Last edited by michika; 06-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Potential Skimmer: Bubble King Super Marine 250 Internal Protein Skimmer? It doesn't seem like there is an Octopus skimmer, which is what we use on our 180g, that can do the job. I'd love a Volcano skimmer, but I'd prefer if I don't spend 50% of my budget on my skimmer alone....so where does that leave us?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Spazz is MIA. Apparently owes a bunch of people skimmers, money or both. That was what I read last anyways. You don't want a Volcano =) Also, most users had to mod to really get decent performance from the skimmer based on what I read in the dedicated Volacno thread and another thread regarding mods.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Man I've been out of the loop for a while, I didn't even know that you got a new place in Calgary. Where did you end up, and when did you decide to upgrade?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

As far as a skimmer, given the price of BK skimmers, I am seriously looking at the Hurricone line of skimmer (off-shoot of Octopus) They are premium skimmers using the Askoll pumps. I think a CAT2 - External would work well for you. They are said to well out-do the reeflo orca's, even after modding.

Take a look at the "other reef site" under Reef Specialties vendor site and you will find a big thread there on them.

Progressive Reef (a Canreef sponsor) sells them and I confirmed with Coralvue that they are a designated reseller so the warranty is good. There were some issues about who was "certified" to sell these bad boys.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

People are saying good things about the vertex cones....not positive if they make one big enough for your needs.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Man I've been out of the loop for a while, I didn't even know that you got a new place in Calgary. Where did you end up, and when did you decide to upgrade?
Yeah, we moved back in November of 2007, I finally got fed up waiting for my master program (Human Anatomy) to open at the UofA. Its STILL not open by the way. So we came home, rented this tiny condo with windows that wouldn't open. I got fed up with that and I decided we were going to buy a house, and we did in October of 2008. We're in the SW side of the city in a cute little 50's home. Amusingly enough our house was the first house we saw in our hunt, and we saw A LOT of houses.

We've always wanted a big tank, and when we went house shopping one of the big features we were looking for was somewhere to place a larger tank.

Does anyone know of a page that showcases all the Octopus and Hurricone skimmers? From what I've found, none of them are even close to being big enough for our needs.

Vertex doesn't seem to make anything big enough, and I'm not really sure if we're willing (space wise) to daisy chain a couple of any skimmer together. The closet Octopus looks like the Reef Octopus FDNW-400 Protein Skimmer, but even then it doesn't look like it will make it.

We need about 1500g worth of skimming capacity. I know the tank's final volume will probably be around 1000g, however I do plan to liberally stock this monster, so I might as well be prepared now, rather then having to upgrade again later.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

You mention above that you are looking at the BK Supermarine 250 but in looking at it's specs, it's only rated to 750G.

For some reason J&L shows up to 2500G at the top of their listing and then in the specs below they list what BK actually says it can do.

I just thought you should know, in case that's where you got the idea it could handle your tank.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.