Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
also, once they did their job, they just eat regular fish food (flakes, pellets, mysis) and have not toughed anything else. I have some zoos, purple clove polyps (which I wish they would eat) and frogspawn...all safe.
So Brad with all my Frogspawns and Hammer's Acans Clams the file fish wont be a problem
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Over a year I spent over 1200 dollars on Berghia nudibranch's when you consider shipping. I had a similar problem in a 90 gallon - the aiptasia had reached plague proportions and it seemed like everything I did was only making the problem worse.

My take on Berghia is that in a mature reef tank with all the types of mechanical filtration you probably have is that they're probably not going to be worth the exorbitant expense. They're easily the most expensive 'solution' to aiptasia, but in a tank your size, with the number of aiptasia you have, you will literally need hundreds of Berghia to make a dent. The companies that sell them claim they will breed in your tank, but my experience did not reflect that. There are about a dozen little critters that love to eat their eggs in any one mature reef tank, and I'm pretty sure that Berghia's go through a pelagic larval stage that means creating a self sustaining colony in a tank with a sump, skimmer, any sort of mechanical filtration, etc. is not possible. So unless you're willing to start your own little aiptasia farm in a smaller secondary tank and raise Berghia's in more conducive conditions, you're probably never going to be able to afford the number of nudibranch's you'd need to get ahead of the problem if it's as bad as mine was. Raising them on your own is of course an option, and there's lots of instructions on how to do it online. However, while it is in theory "easy" to raise berghia, I find it's "easy" on the same level that raising clown fish fry is "easy". The rarity and cost of each nudibranch really is a testament to how few people can or would bother.

Either way I feel your pain. My aiptasia problem was only solved by the breakdown of my tank, but if I had kept it, I would have gone either the Butterfly fish or filefish route. If you've got the kind of aiptasia that reproduce at the slightest irritation (and I'm convinced that there is a type that's more likely to do this), then chemical solutions won't work either (I tried them all).

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Mechaninano is on a distinguished road

I've got 2 90 gallons so I boiled the rock for one of the tanks (it was INFESTED, no saving it). Now, I'm just waiting for it to leech out all of the bad by product and I'll be rolling again (except for the 1 hitch-hiker that managed to elude me on the bottom of my toadstool

25 gallon "nano"

90 gallon startup

5 gallon nano
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Steve at red coral claims to ONLY get peppermint shrimp that eat the buggers. I was a little skeptical, but trusted him, and they worked. Maybe call and ask if he has any in right now, and add a few. It wasn't an instant solution, but in time, I was free of the buggers.

For all the rock that I could remove, I also took a bic lighter to them... spead things up a little... And gives you satisfaction! Lol

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 AM

reefmaster12345 is on a distinguished road
Default Monster Problem

hi i have a monster aptasia problem of my own i have tried everything takeing the rock out and useing kalkwaser and aptasia x and it worked but they just came back i was thinking nudibranch what do u guys thing pm me i need to figure something out i may just boil the rock soonn
Old 10-03-2011, 04:51 AM

babyreef is on a distinguished road

BLANK

Last edited by babyreef; 11-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
So Brad with all my Frogspawns and Hammer's Acans Clams the file fish wont be a problem
My filefish ate the aptasia but also eats my LPS. Leaves my zoas and sps alone. However it seems the coral preference varies with these fish, but they all seem to eat aptasia.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

I have a SWC zapper. Works great.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

+1 on the zapper, I had already fixed my problem with lemon juice over a few months, then was down at OC one day and got to try the zapper. Not only does it kill the apasia, it made me giggle like a school girl while doing it.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Whoa, I am so ordering the zapper