Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Ebay (Artemis) MH Bulbs

For those of you running the ebay Artemis metal halides, how long are you running them for before replacing? Wattage and color temperature too please.

Currently I have the 10k 250w running, been in there about 3 months. I just switched out to some 14K that I had purchased sometime last year (or maybe the year before?) but only ran for 2 months before I decided I didn't like the color. I still like the 10k but am having some algae issues and it was suggested to try the higher kelvin bulbs.

Anyway, just wondering if these bulbs have a shorter life than the pricier brand names. I used to run my ushios for a year before changing them out (hello Boxing Day sales!) but nobody seems to sell them anymore so I thought I'd try ebay again.

Thanks!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

I use them and don't switch them out until past the one year mark with no issues.. Mind you I'm going the opposite direction with the same end bulb I am currently running the 20k bulbs and am moving down to the 14k range I think with my t5s it's a touch too blue so I'm going to try the 14k and supliment with the t5's and see if I can achieve what I'm looking for color wise.

Keep in mind that yes eBay is a great price and I think they are a decent bulb. Sure they are not Phoenix or higher end but I had a box that came from Calgary or Edmonton when I bought one of my fixtures and wherever they bought thier Artemis bulbs from there they where charges 69.00 per bulb vrs the eBay where I am getting 3 bulbs for 69.00 well worth it to go eBay. Besides I'm a self proclaimed cheap bastard and even if I had to change them every 6 to 8 months eBay is still cheaper

Just my humble .05 (since the penny doesn't exist even my thoughts cost more lol )

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM

1eyedjyde is on a distinguished road

I stopped running them after 1 burned out after 9 months and 1 after a few weeks. The colouring was off for a 15k bulb, too yellow as well. I went back to phoenix bulbs, no issue for the past 8 months.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 PM

ChefFish is on a distinguished road

I use the 175 watt 20k and try to replace them between 8 months and a year and am happy with them. I like the cooler of them and even if I replace them every 6 months its still cheaper. I'm switching to 250 watt, but expect the same results.