Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Which option would be most suitable for a high school science classroom?
4ft reef 25 23.58%
4ft fowlr 14 13.21%
4ft community 12 11.32%
6ft reef 20 18.87%
6ft fowlr 7 6.60%
6ft community 2 1.89%
4ft community and smaller special interest tank (nano) 8 7.55%
6ft community and smaller special interest tank (nano) 2 1.89%
one saltwater, one freshwater (please specify below) 8 7.55%
other (please specify below) 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

HTML Code:
 I hate to say it, but I would think a classroom tank would be a major distraction for the students. I know I wouldn't be paying a whole lot of attention in class if there was a fish tank in the room, fresh or salt water.
+1
Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
I hate to say it, but I would think a classroom tank would be a major distraction for the students. I know I wouldn't be paying a whole lot of attention in class if there was a fish tank in the room, fresh or salt water.
+1, I probably would daydream even more if it was me.... Also, I hate saying this, but can you trust kids nowadays? I would hate something stupid being done to the tank to vandalize it.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

+1 on the below, I don't know how many times I heard from my 17 year old "dad why don't you get some cool fish". Shock value, and the unusual is what you need to grab their attention and to get them asking questions. My feather dusters always get a gasp when the plume disappears in a blink of an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafan View Post
Well I have a grade 11 daughter, I had my own ideas about what she enjoys about my tank so I threw them by her to see if she agreed with what I thought. Basically fish are fish to kids, sw or fw. Anytime she goes with me to lfs it's always the bizarre and out of the usual. Urchins, star fish (hitchiker as well as the usual), bristle worms, sea cucumbers and anything else that fits into the unusual category. If the fish are unusual this works too, puffers, lion fish, basically characteristics that most other fish do not have, or fish that will reproduce in captivity, clowns or cardinals, as well as symbiotic relationships. For corals, she finds most boring, until I want to start and do some fragging then she is in there like a dirty shirt with the cutters. For tank size she says a tank in the classroom might prove distracting during times when they really don't care what the teacher is saying, so placement of the tank should be considered. But should be as large as can be reasonably accomodated. Last year she was so taken with the unusuals that she had a fascination in biology class, and kept bringing things like bristle worms, bristle stars, asterinas, and amphipods out of my tank to study them under the microscope. Just our 2 cents, hope you find it useful.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Would say go big but what's the plan for the longer school breaks and summer holidays? (easier to pack up a nano for the summer and bring home than a 6' reef)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 AM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

I can provide a perspective that others cannot. I am a high school Biology and Chemistry teacher. I have set up a number of freshwater, saltwater, terrariums and vivariums over the years. The past few years I have set up a little Biocube 8 and would not go with anything larger. It is stocked with softies, LPS and a couple of clownfish.

The main consideration for going small is maintenence. During the week there are always enough kids around that want to help out with water changes and feeding but what do you do during holidays?

The Biocube is just running PC's (non stock lighting) and has a lid so there isn't a lot of evaporation. It can make it through winter break with no maintenence and a couple of little fish can live off any fauna living in the rocks. What are you going to do with a big tank over Christmas break? In the summer, I knock the whole thing down and send it home with a kid or a teacher and set it back up in September.

Educationally, A reef tank is definitely worth it but there are some practical problems you have to consider.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 AM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the comments. Personally, I'm not planning on any large trip for the next couple of years, and I am sure I could have someone check in briefly if I need to go somewhere for a few days.

However, thinking about that, there is less room for error with a smaller tank than there is for a larger tank.

Pinhead - much appreciated to have some comments from a fellow colleague. If you have any ideas on lesson plans to go along with a saltwater setup, that would be most appreciated as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I've had a 20g reef for two years. I just kept live rock,softies, lps and a couple of clowns and a goby in it. It had a HOB skimmer, Aquaclear filter, heater, 4-bulb T5 lights with a bare bottom and glass top to slow evaporation. The only thing I ever tested for was salinity and did weekly 2.5g water changes. Everything grew like weeds, the fish are all still alive and fat and I only put in less than 1/2 a week of maintenance. It was easy enough to keep care of that when I took 2 week vacations all I had to do was get a friend to top off the water and feed pre-measured portions of food and all was well when I got home. I honestly don't understand the mind set that small tanks are harder to keep, make it simple with easy to keep livestock and there will be no problem.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I have a classroom system set up in my classroom that is 2 display tanks and a fuge all connected. All are 30 gallon tanks so I have the benefit from larger volume and can have different tank types. So far I have a peacock mantis in one and a pair of clowns and 1 tiny foxface in the other( I know it will outgrow this tank but then it will come home to my display here). I will not be going with anything other than easy softies and Lps and the mantis will be moving into the sump in time, it is viewable as well.

So far the kids love them and the mantis is a complete hit ....keep it simple and as easy as you can to maintain..this setup I have left for 5 days and it is fine...I am making tops for all tanks and all fish I choose will be on pellets prior to summer (mantis will come home) so the tanks will be able to be left for longer periods of time.

Have fun

Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I honestly don't understand the mind set that small tanks are harder to keep, make it simple with easy to keep livestock and there will be no problem.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I don't believe they are harder to keep. I do however, believe that if something goes wrong, that having a larger tank with more water will allow it to spread out the emergency over more time instead of killing the tank very quickly.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So far the kids love them and the mantis is a complete hit ....keep it simple and as easy as you can to maintain..this setup I have left for 5 days and it is fine...I am making tops for all tanks and all fish I choose will be on pellets prior to summer (mantis will come home) so the tanks will be able to be left for longer periods of time.

Have fun
Funny you mention a mantis...I was thinking of one as well. I've had a few, and they are pretty neat...figured it'd be a hit.