Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Not to make this any more controversial, but I refuse to believe or live my life by the creed of "The world is what it is and we have to lower our standards and join it. There's nothing we can do about it."
We all have choices in what we say and how we say it. Some people are truly double faced. One persona in person, but because they hide behind some alias on a forum, a totally different person on line because they feel they can get away with it. The more that spirit is adopted as the norm and is ok, the lower these forums will sink into tirades, name calling and un-fettered venting of emotions.
Keep in mind this a hobby. My view of a forum like this is to share our experience, meet with like minded people who share a common interest (because my wife sure doesn't share it, lol), give help and get it when needed. But there's huge differences in experience, temperaments, and code of conduct between all our members. And that's Ok. But I think we still have to have standards and hold to account those who don't respect that.
And guess what, if someone has a differing opinion than I, no amount of disrespect and name calling is going to change my mind. A well written post, with the intent of HELPING me might.

It all comes down to choices. We're either part of the problem or part of the solution. We can all choose to be tactful, helpful and kind and enjoy ourselves here, or do the reverse and feel uncomfortable posting our mistakes or experiences because we know we're going to get lambasted.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:51 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Sticks and stones. The only person that can make you feel bad, inferior and etc. etc. ....... is yourself. Believe it and be stronger because of it.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Not to make this any more controversial, but I refuse to believe or live my life by the creed of "The world is what it is and we have to lower our standards and join it. There's nothing we can do about it."
We all have choices in what we say and how we say it. Some people are truly double faced. One persona in person, but because they hide behind some alias on a forum, a totally different person on line because they feel they can get away with it. The more that spirit is adopted as the norm and is ok, the lower these forums will sink into tirades, name calling and un-fettered venting of emotions.
Keep in mind this a hobby. My view of a forum like this is to share our experience, meet with like minded people who share a common interest (because my wife sure doesn't share it, lol), give help and get it when needed. But there's huge differences in experience, temperaments, and code of conduct between all our members. And that's Ok. But I think we still have to have standards and hold to account those who don't respect that.
And guess what, if someone has a differing opinion than I, no amount of disrespect and name calling is going to change my mind. A well written post, with the intent of HELPING me might.

It all comes down to choices. We're either part of the problem or part of the solution. We can all choose to be tactful, helpful and kind and enjoy ourselves here, or do the reverse and feel uncomfortable posting our mistakes or experiences because we know we're going to get lambasted.
Amen to that. Well said.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

It's hostile? Here I thought it was just normal CanReef bickering for the last 9 years...

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It's hostile? Here I thought it was just normal CanReef bickering for the last 9 years...
It is mindy some people take it to heart I guess never pass a dig lol
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road

As the bio pellets turn ......so does the the Days Of Our Lives Tee hee
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 PM

foxfishfan is on a distinguished road

I have noticed that trend as well,but like others have said,canreef represents the population at large. There are a lot a great people that try to help others when they're stressed over tank issues,but there seems to be a minority 'looking for confrontation.' It sounds cliche but there is good and bad everywhere you go so just try to ignore jerks and appreciate the decent people.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
It is mindy some people take it to heart I guess never pass a dig lol
I guess so! I think there is often lots lost in translation too. I've many times posted something and gone back to see what the OP responded to have someone throwing a fit and me scratching my head.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Heh, we's all human & mess up from time to time. I've put up some silly posts too, ones that I read later & wonder what the H I was thinking. I tend to not sugar coat things & sometimes that comes across the wrong way. Try to provide info from personal experience with the tank, including failures, so there's no point in beating around the bush with certain matters.

I look at it this way. One of the things I'm really into is skiing. I've taken both instructors courses & a race coach course. As an instructor you're working with a client to provide a positive learning experience, so you tend to be nice & attentive to their needs in addition to improving their skill at a fun sport. You may want them to return for another lesson to keep the $$$s rolling into the snowsport school, so tact is key. As a coach all you're looking for is results, go faster. There's no being nice, if the athlete doesn't get it, you tell them straight up where & how they're screwing up & what they need to do to fix it. They either make the grade or move on to another sport. I failed the skiing part or the coaches course since I had never raced. I wasn't going to learn the technique in 3 days, but it was still money well spent. I learned a lot about technique that was not included in the ski instructors courses I'd had.

As far as sales & pricing on a forum go, there have been many posts I've looked at & been tempted to reply that the price might be a bit optimistic, but so far I've been able to resist! Some folks want money for a ball of Chaeto, others give it away free. The seller is not always aware of the current 'market' price for stuff, so I simply let it be. No sense cluttering up the persons for sale post with my 2 cents, they'll figure it out eventually if the item doesn't sell. I've put a couple of items up recently that I consider rock bottom pricing, but no sale. On the other hand, the price police provides a free bump for the sellers thread....
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough