Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
I think I've had maybe 2 fish die from J&L, the rest have been fine and are all 6-12+ months in my system. My experience has been worse for livestock from King Ed, hardly anything I get from there lives.
Iv had the complete opposite problem lol my king Ed fish are fat and healthly lol
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Regarding health of fish from different LFS, I think where you fish came from plays an important role in the health of your fish. Grant, the owner of island pets (formally Big Als in this region), made a bold claim that he has never heard of any collection station in Indonesia that is not using cyanide or dynamite to catch fish. I know using of cyanide or dynamite in Indonesia is wide spread. But Grant's claim is the strongest I have ever heard. Philippine fish is a crap shot as well.
I also notice a trend in recent years that LFS start to use island name or region name instead of country name to label fish origin. I am not sure it's intentional or unintentional. For example, Bali or Irian Jaya. They are all islands in Indonesia. Make sure to sharp up your geography before you purchase your fish

Last edited by George; 05-27-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Regarding health of fish from different LFS, I think where you fish came from plays an important role in the health of your fish. Grant, the owner of island pets (formally Big Als in this region), made a bold claim that he has never heard of any collection station in Indonesia that is not using cyanide or dynamite to catch fish. I know using of cyanide or dynamite in Indonesia is wide spread. But Grant's claim is the strongest I have ever heard. Philippine fish is a crap shot as well.
I also notice a trend in recent years that LFS start to use island name or region name instead of country name to label fish origin. I am not sure it's intentional or unintentional. For example, Bali or Irian Jaya. They are all islands in Indonesia. Make sure to sharp up your geography before you purchase your fish
Personally I don't buy any fish until the LFS does the following:
1.) has it for 1-3 weeks depending on the type of fish, treating for any parasites, diseases, etc. if needed.
2.) has it eating things like pellets, nori, etc... again varied foods depending on the species of fish.

Dennis @ Golds does a great job selling marine livestock, most of my fish have come from him and I can say I have NEVER lost a fish before its time due to disease, poor health, transport, etc.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Personally I don't buy any fish until the LFS does the following:
1.) has it for 1-3 weeks depending on the type of fish, treating for any parasites, diseases, etc. if needed.
2.) has it eating things like pellets, nori, etc... again varied foods depending on the species of fish.

Dennis @ Golds does a great job selling marine livestock, most of my fish have come from him and I can say I have NEVER lost a fish before its time due to disease, poor health, transport, etc.
Unfortunately cyanide poison can take its toll long after the fish get caught. It's still a good practice to ask your LFS where the fish comes from. If nothing else, you can tell your friends your fish is from Irian Jaya and look at their face.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Reefpins10 is on a distinguished road

I always feel I can trust J&L when I buy fish from them. One day I was there and wanted to buy a pink square spot Anthias, but the lady working in the fish room told me that the fish didn't eat yet, and told me I had better wait for a week or so. Instead of just selling the fish like most LFS do, she impressed me with her honesty. Island Pet is the worst one, the staff don't know how to catch the fish, try to catch a fish in almost 15 minutes for just 1 (???). The last time I was there, I just told them straight I don't want to take a chance buying that fish anymore.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 AM

Reefpins10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Hey Reefpins10, sorry to hear of your loss, for someone to lose a part of your life is a big deal so I understand, after 8 years of the same livestock you should be proud of yourself for keeping them that long, I myself have livestock that has been with me for more than 10 years dating back in the 90s. I found that the longer the fish that I have the stronger their imunine system is. I also have Hippo Tangs aka paracanthurus hepatus, never in the history are they ick magnets in my tanks. Unlike many years ago we had a Powder Brown/Goldrim tang we got, they are ick magnet, shortly thereafter develope ick, covered in ick and thought it won't make it through the night, my wife quarantine the fish, nothing chemical involved or hypo, just good water quality,food and dim light and the fish came back well, eventually went to someone and still alive and bossy after 15 years today. Thanks to all the hobbyist for their support and lets help each out. regards Ken

I think I have found a clue as to why all my fish had died from ich, not even one had survived. I was adding Potassium powder in my tank without testing it. I wanted to color up my blue corals. I heard if you are using bio pellets it will lower your potassium in your tank, same with KH. All of my blood shrimps and cleaner shrimps were dying first before the fish. I was also cutting down their favorite frozen brine shrimp which I used to feed every night. I was also feeding them only once a day, mysis shrimp or pellets, and most of my fish didn't touch the pellets food at all. I think their immune system were weaker when they didn't have enough food. Yes I was very proud that I could keep all the fish that long, but I also couldn't believe I kill them all too, because of my stupidity.