Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Regarding health of fish from different LFS, I think where you fish came from plays an important role in the health of your fish. Grant, the owner of island pets (formally Big Als in this region), made a bold claim that he has never heard of any collection station in Indonesia that is not using cyanide or dynamite to catch fish. I know using of cyanide or dynamite in Indonesia is wide spread. But Grant's claim is the strongest I have ever heard. Philippine fish is a crap shot as well.
I also notice a trend in recent years that LFS start to use island name or region name instead of country name to label fish origin. I am not sure it's intentional or unintentional. For example, Bali or Irian Jaya. They are all islands in Indonesia. Make sure to sharp up your geography before you purchase your fish
Personally I don't buy any fish until the LFS does the following:
1.) has it for 1-3 weeks depending on the type of fish, treating for any parasites, diseases, etc. if needed.
2.) has it eating things like pellets, nori, etc... again varied foods depending on the species of fish.

Dennis @ Golds does a great job selling marine livestock, most of my fish have come from him and I can say I have NEVER lost a fish before its time due to disease, poor health, transport, etc.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Personally I don't buy any fish until the LFS does the following:
1.) has it for 1-3 weeks depending on the type of fish, treating for any parasites, diseases, etc. if needed.
2.) has it eating things like pellets, nori, etc... again varied foods depending on the species of fish.

Dennis @ Golds does a great job selling marine livestock, most of my fish have come from him and I can say I have NEVER lost a fish before its time due to disease, poor health, transport, etc.
Unfortunately cyanide poison can take its toll long after the fish get caught. It's still a good practice to ask your LFS where the fish comes from. If nothing else, you can tell your friends your fish is from Irian Jaya and look at their face.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Reefpins10 is on a distinguished road

I always feel I can trust J&L when I buy fish from them. One day I was there and wanted to buy a pink square spot Anthias, but the lady working in the fish room told me that the fish didn't eat yet, and told me I had better wait for a week or so. Instead of just selling the fish like most LFS do, she impressed me with her honesty. Island Pet is the worst one, the staff don't know how to catch the fish, try to catch a fish in almost 15 minutes for just 1 (???). The last time I was there, I just told them straight I don't want to take a chance buying that fish anymore.