Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Just a little update to the upgrades done, for my own peace of mind, as I do not wish to convey inaccurate claims.

The sump was running, as the pictures show, but now it is not.
I decided, 6 weeks ago, that the external overflow system is WAY to risky for me, what with going away from home frequently.
So I went back to running two canisters, for now.

I have a 70g sitting empty, right now. As well, the 45g top-off tank and the 33g sump are sitting empty too. So at the earliest opportunity, I am going to move all my LR, corals, sand, and inverts to those tanks, temporarily, and send the 135g out for drilling and get the overflow and sump/auto top-off going properly. The fish can go in my 20QT tank if there is not room in the others.
Hoping to get this done in Oct. or Nov. and hopefully it won't take any longer than 1 week to do.

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight that a more accurate thread title here would be "Upgrades On Hold" rather than "Upgrades Done".

Cheers,
Old 08-25-2005, 01:56 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Good choice, I never liked external overflows either.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Oh man sound like a lot of work. But it will pay off in the long run.
Looking forward to reading all about it in Oct.

Good Luck
Jason
Old 01-23-2006, 03:48 AM

Upgrades done? Ha! LOL. Upgrades just lead to more upgrades, I’ve learned. Well, it is for the better, though.
So… the latest upgrades are done. Got a 180 drilled tank with two corner overflows.
Moved the sump from under the top off tank to directly under the main tank. The top off tank is still in play. Just a longer feed hose there, is all. This was all done about 6 weeks ago, actually, but just getting around to pics now.
So what’s next? Well, I can’t help but think that this system is way under skimmed. So the next upgrade is to get either an ASM G3 or a EuroReef CS8-2 skimmer for the sump.
It’s only a 33g sump so I’m hopin’ a CS8-2 will fit! Which has got me thinkin’ I need to upgrade the size of my sump! Sheesh! Well, the sump upgrade is gonna have to wait for the time when I plan to upgrade my living quarters so I can better accommodate these aquarium upgrades. (Read: Own place = peace of mind; concrete place = peace of mind). Heck, at the same time, I may as well upgrade the 135 FOWLR to a 180g and get a sump goin’ on that too, as it is under skimmed also. Oh, and RO/DI top offs are in the plans too!
Can you say upgrade, Johnny? Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.
In the meantime, however, I think it's time to get some livestock!

This pic is with the cabinet facade in place.

Cheers,
Old 01-23-2006, 05:50 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Ahhh now that's better Mark, and now you will be able to sleep easier too

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 10-20-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Upgrades Continuing

I’m so excited that I just can’t hide it !

I’m now committed to a ground floor condo. Possession date is December 1st.
Upgrade plans are…..
I’m getting out of FW altogether and these tanks will be used to upgrade my Reef and FOWLR systems.

I’m gonna get two corner overflows installed in my 135 FW tank. This will become the new Reeftank. I’ll use the 45 I’m currently using as a top-off reservoir for the sump/fuge. My current 135 FOWLR tank will become the top-off reservoir for this tank. Gonna go with a RS-180 EuroReef skimmer. The lights will be the Aqualight Pro 3x150W 10K HQI I already have. Planning on upgrading the flow to two Tunze 6080’s, with two MJ 1200’s for surface agitation. Pondering a chiller, but considering 2x3.125” Coralife cooling fans instead. (Way cheaper). Planning on going with a 1” sand bed.

The 180 I have will then become the FOWLR TriggerTank. I have a 70g that will be the sump/fuge. My 90 FW tank will become the top-off tank for this system. Skimmer will be a RS-250. Lights will be a Lunar Aqualight 2x96W 10K P/C I already have. The Seio 1500’s I already have in my current Reeftank will be moved to this FOWLR tank. Two MJ 1200’s for surface agitation. I don’t expect a need to chill this tank. Cooling fans will probably suffice. Planning on going with a 1” sand bed here, too.

RO/DI is also in the plans.

Needless to say, this is going to be a huge move (hint, hint ). Two display tanks, two sumps and two top-off tanks. One of the display tanks requires drilling, as does the two top-off tanks. This totals up to 9 tank moves altogether. Something that is just not gonna happen in one day. Looking forward to it, though. More space and a solid platform means getting around to larger sump(s), bigger skimmers, and improved conditions all around and an increase in livestock capacity as a result. (Finally).

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

Thanx much and cheers,
Old 10-20-2006, 05:13 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Mark why not make 2 tanks converted into one have 1 sump so that everything is dealt with on the reef side then the FOWLR wont get half the attention. IE when doing water changes you change the water in the sump and then your good to go. and you water parameters are going to be more stable in both tanks too.... lots of people are doing this should sheck into it...

good luck and congrats
Old 10-20-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus
Mark why not make 2 tanks converted into one have 1 sump so that everything is dealt with on the reef side then the FOWLR wont get half the attention. ......
Definitely a good idea and something I will consider. One problem I struggle with is hooking up an RO/DI to the existing condo plumbing and then have it fail someday. I'm not so sure my insurance, (or the Strata's insurance), would cover that. I'm new to owning, having rented all my life. Not too comfortable asking about it. ....."Hi! I'm the new owner of unit xxx. I have these huge aquariums. I want to hook up an RO/DI auto top-off from the laundry room plumbing directly to my tank systems. This means running water filled lines along walls and ceilings. Does the strata insurance cover damages when it fails?"
I'd rather run the RO/DI off the kitchen faucet only when I need it, thus the top-off tanks....which will take up more space. Consequently, the Reef and the FOWLR could not both fit in the same room.

Am I out to lunch worrying about not being insured in the event of an RO/DI failure?

Thanx much,
Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 AM

Changes soon forthcoming in December.
Here’s a “before” shot of the 180g reef tank.
Sump too small; awkward to access / hard to work on; couldn’t fit skimmer in with this arrangement.
Temperature control by way of those two wall mounted fans.
Water circ is by way of 2 Seio 1500s; 4 MaxiJet 1200s; and the sump return.
Been running skimmerless since mid September due to unreliable HOB skimmer.
Fluidized Bed filter removed and gone for good.
45g top-off tank not large enough for my needs.

Here’s a shot of the new 135g sump.
(It will not be used on this stand, as photographed. The sump will sit down on the floor, beside the display tank).
Live Rock will go in the first chamber and the second chamber, (in that basket under the skimmer), and also between the skimmer and the ‘fuge chamber.
The ‘fuge will have a 2” sandbed and I’m going to use Chaeto as the nutrient exporter.
The canister will run carbon and maybe RowaPhos. I’m going to try my PhosBan (RowaPhos) reactor again, but I may go back to Rowa in the canister.

More.....
Old 11-26-2006, 03:37 AM

Here’s a detail shot of the right side of the sump.
The return pump is in behind the canister and, hard to see here, but in the far back corner is the chiller pump. Both pumps are Aquaclear 901s. (Actually, they are big powerheads).

I’ll post “After” pics when the time comes.

Cheers,