Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

How old is your LR? And where did you get the LR?
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
How old is your LR? And where did you get the LR?
Got the LR about 9 months ago from Aquarium Illusions. Other than the HA, its been very clean.

Update on the sea hare: he got 3 rocks completely clean last night IT looks like I took the rock and scrubbed it. All the Coralline algae is intact, but I did have to pick up my frags from the sandbed, he knocked them all off.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Old lights aren't always the culprit the GHA equation. GHA will only grow if your nutrients permit, and old lights are just an aiding variable. How are your alkalinity levels? I have found, as well as other reefers, that elevated alkalinity levels make it more difficult for GHA to grow. The reason for this is beyond me but try elevating them slowly over the next few days and see what happens. At the very least, your corals will enjoy it.

Danny
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-21-2009, 06:01 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I know this might be redundant saying this but make sure you prune the HA outside of the tank. When you cut it in your tank it will just spread and get worse. I had it pretty bad at one point and same deal, nothing would eat it. So I snapped, developed a twitch, pulled the worst rocks out during a water change and scrubbed the sh** out of them with a toothbrush in some of the water I pulled out, then rinsed them with fresh mixed SW and put them back in. The CUC, urchin and top snail took care of the remainder. Been HA free since (except for the nicely groomed little patch that they let grow to snack on... I swear they're farming it).

Sometimes you just gotta show some creatures who's higher in the food chain with a little tough love.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I know this might be redundant saying this but make sure you prune the HA outside of the tank. When you cut it in your tank it will just spread and get worse. I had it pretty bad at one point and same deal, nothing would eat it. So I snapped, developed a twitch, pulled the worst rocks out during a water change and scrubbed the sh** out of them with a toothbrush in some of the water I pulled out, then rinsed them with fresh mixed SW and put them back in. The CUC, urchin and top snail took care of the remainder. Been HA free since (except for the nicely groomed little patch that they let grow to snack on... I swear they're farming it).

Sometimes you just gotta show some creatures who's higher in the food chain with a little tough love.
Used the same strategy in conjunction with the sea hare and it worked.

In response to OP:
That sea hare is a marvelous creature. I wish I coulda kept it around long term, but when the job was done it was time to pass him a long. Hope he continues to do the trick. Yours seems to be working faster than mine and also more systematically lol
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 AM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

To reply dKh is at 11, has been for a while. Calc is 440 mag is 1300 and iodine is .07

The seahare disappeared for a day, but I saw him munching again today, much mor sporatically than the otherday, but still getting the job done. whew. I was pruning it in the tank, probably what cause it to spread faster. damn.