Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road
Default Vitamin C dosing

So after skimming through this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...602494&page=12
I've started dosing vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as per the recommendations in the thread. I managed to source exactly the same product used in the thread and have been at it for about a week and a half now.

The main purpose was because some of my zoa/paly colonies weren't looking their best or were refusing to open. Everything else in the tank with just hunky dory. As suggested, my levels were stable and were as follows:
pH: ~8.2
Ca: 420 ppm
Alk: 8.3 dKH
Mg: ~1400 ppm
SG: 1.025 (DD H2O salt)
Tank: 72x24x18 mixed reef with 55 gallon sump.

I also had been dosing Zeo Coral Snow (4 ml/every other day), Zeo LPS AA (3 ml/day), Zeo Spongepower (1 drop/day), Pohl's Vitalizer (3 drops/day), phyto (1 tsp/every other day) - I know, I'm a sucker for this stuff

I was initially hesitant since I had just gotten over a cyano and GHA outbreak because of some over enthusiastic dosing and flow issues, but my approach to reefing has always been "aw, what the heck", so I went for it.

With my water volume (~115 gal of actual water), I should be dosing just over 1/2 teaspoon 2x per day to achieve the 5 ppm initial target. I started first with extremely low doses and have been slowly ramping up over the last 1.5 weeks.

RESULTS SO FAR:
- some slight cyano which as yet is hardly even noticeable (knock of wood).
- more skimmate production (I'd say about 10-15% more and it's a bit wetter)
- more film algae (I could clean the glass about every other day now - my abalone is feasting)
- And the point of all this experimentation: nearly all the zoas/paly colonies are now open, but their colours could still do with some improvement. I'll take some pics in the next couple of days.

This seems to be another form of carbon dosing so we'll see what the long term effects are. I'll keep you updated. Oh, and I chose this over vodka because taking vitamin C just sounds healthier than force feeding booze to my aquarium. Besides, my mom always told me to take my vitamins.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm interested to follow along on here. I'm setting up a Zoa & Paly dedicated system in the next while.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Interesting, just hooking up to follow the thread.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:01 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

This might have a negative impact on you softies. I found with booze dosing that my yellow polyps started to die off. This did not happen when I went to Ultralith.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Great thread topic Franklin! I'll be following along with interest

Don't forget the before and after pics!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Great Topic Franklin

I too like the idea of Vitamin C over Vodka

Where did you get the Vitamin C?

Tom R
Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
So after skimming through this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...602494&page=12
I've started dosing vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as per the recommendations in the thread. I managed to source exactly the same product used in the thread and have been at it for about a week and a half now.

The main purpose was because some of my zoa/paly colonies weren't looking their best or were refusing to open. Everything else in the tank with just hunky dory. As suggested, my levels were stable and were as follows:
pH: ~8.2
Ca: 420 ppm
Alk: 8.3 dKH
Mg: ~1400 ppm
SG: 1.025 (DD H2O salt)
Tank: 72x24x18 mixed reef with 55 gallon sump.

I also had been dosing Zeo Coral Snow (4 ml/every other day), Zeo LPS AA (3 ml/day), Zeo Spongepower (1 drop/day), Pohl's Vitalizer (3 drops/day), phyto (1 tsp/every other day) - I know, I'm a sucker for this stuff

I was initially hesitant since I had just gotten over a cyano and GHA outbreak because of some over enthusiastic dosing and flow issues, but my approach to reefing has always been "aw, what the heck", so I went for it.

With my water volume (~115 gal of actual water), I should be dosing just over 1/2 teaspoon 2x per day to achieve the 5 ppm initial target. I started first with extremely low doses and have been slowly ramping up over the last 1.5 weeks.

RESULTS SO FAR:
- some slight cyano which as yet is hardly even noticeable (knock of wood).
- more skimmate production (I'd say about 10-15% more and it's a bit wetter)
- more film algae (I could clean the glass about every other day now - my abalone is feasting)
- And the point of all this experimentation: nearly all the zoas/paly colonies are now open, but their colours could still do with some improvement. I'll take some pics in the next couple of days.

This seems to be another form of carbon dosing so we'll see what the long term effects are. I'll keep you updated. Oh, and I chose this over vodka because taking vitamin C just sounds healthier than force feeding booze to my aquarium. Besides, my mom always told me to take my vitamins.
Where did you you purchase : NutriBiotic, Sodium Ascorbate Crystalline Powder, 16 oz (454 g) locally or online. Thx
Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPotter View Post
Where did you you purchase : NutriBiotic, Sodium Ascorbate Crystalline Powder, 16 oz (454 g) locally or online. Thx
Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Ascorbic-Ascor...9008675&sr=8-2

Hmm, looks like it's been discontinued. They still seem to have the monster-sized version though. Anyone in for a group buy?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Atomikk is on a distinguished road

We have written a bunch of times on Vitamin C and its uses.

http://blog.fragd.it/2008/05/28/vita...-or-not-to-do/
http://blog.fragd.it/2009/05/13/vita...and-your-reef/
http://blog.fragd.it/2009/05/21/dosi...ium-ascorbate/
http://blog.fragd.it/2009/11/12/stn-...issues-part-2/

You all have to be careful around SPS corals. You can easily create a low nutrient environment using Vitamin C.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Hey Franklin , how is your tank doing on the dosing of Vitamin C. Do you have any good news on it? Has it done any positive changes to your tank and livestock?

Chris