Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-04-2007, 10:04 PM

wayner is on a distinguished road

Nicely done Marie, Bang on.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Here is my 50g tank, 3 maxi jet 900s, vho lighting, bak-pak skimmer and heater, kalk and occasional water changes.
This was my easiest tank to care for, nothing seemed to phase it, if i forgot to do water changes for a couple of months? It didn't care. If I forgot to add kalk for a week? It was all good . Of course at this point it had been set up for 5 years

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-11-2007, 03:26 AM

fishface is on a distinguished road

so i've just started trying ultralith and what i've noticed so face is a bit of mixed bag. i've dosed in a 120 with a 25g refugium/sump on the first day i ampule of the bio, 1 ml ultrabak and 1ml ultramin. then after reading the horror stories i cut it back to 3 drops of the bak in the last 2 days. what i've seen so far is that algae on the glass has dropped off a bit, water is starting to clear up but some of my corals are hatin' it. pagoda cup which is normally fully extended is shriveled, open brain has also gone somewhat skeletal and mushrooms have shrunk to about 50% normal size. sps seem to all be fine, perhaps even have better PE. not sure what to make of this stuff so far...anyone have any similar experiences?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:43 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

I haven't experienced any of the bad symptoms you've discribed .I assume you are using the Ultra Lith media ( zeolite rock ) in some sort of reactor. I myself use the Ultra Bio in the 50 ml container so I use drops daily instead of the ampule .The corals that are affected , are they in the location of your dosing? I add mine a drop at a time in front of a Koralia powerhead to dispurse it at night before I turn the lights off. Did you use a phosphate remover before starting the system? I have a hang on refugium with minimum chaeto in it. In a previous post there was a RC link to a conflict with a fuge. Maybe take a look at the link. You could try " cutting " the additives with salt water from your tank and then dose that back into the tank. Is your skimmer working well? Mine was pulling out more than normal for the first while. Softies and mushrooms like nutrient rich water. Feed well ,skim well.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:28 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

i do have the ultralith media as well in, it's in a phosban reactor. as for location i'm dosing, it's in a super high flow area of my sump so it gets well diluted before it even reaches the display tank. and i have checked out the rc thread, that's what made me cut back the dosage on day 2. i'll do a waterchange today and just see what happens...not quite sure if i'm willing to continue this if i cannot keep a mixed reef.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

H mmmmm. I have a mixed reef. Maybe Jhkchris or Vanreefer could have some input . I noticed Vanreefer is using Ultra organic as well