Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

My salt showed up in about 5 days. It was delivered by ups. They just dropped it at the door, he didn't look happy to be lugging 25kg of salt to the door.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post
...he didn't look happy to be lugging 25kg of salt to the door.
He should have stayed in school.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:13 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
He should have stayed in school.
I stayed in school and I don't look happy lugging a bucket of salt around either!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
I personally prefer the probiotic over the reef, however, I'm running full aquaforest. You could use either, however, probiotic has the benefit of the added beneficial bacteria. In order to support this bacteria you would want to carbon dose which aquaforest has supplements for. If you choose to carbon dose, in your case you would want to go for the diluted version of NP Pro and have this on a doser. You could probably get away with dosong yhe bacteria supplement less ofte as long as the carbon is dosed to support it. The problem with ULNS however is they often require daily supplements in order to support the corals in a ULNS environment. The key I've found with the aquaforest system is to watch your tank and and and adjust doses by visual signs.

One of the aquaforest products I have found most beneficial is their component 1+2+3 (I make my own though with component strong and dry mix as it'stands way cheaper). The added benefits of these trace elements have really helped in growth and color and I think many others can attest to this.

Either way you go in the end, reef salt or probiotic, is fine. Aquaforest is one of those systems you can go all in or pick and choose the products based on what you are looking to achieve.

Don't know if this really answered your question

What's your current measurements for phosphate and nitrate in your system?

Well said , fully agree
Old 09-15-2016, 07:10 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

haha typed that on the phone... don't know why it repeated the word "and" 3 times in a row.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:23 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisco View Post
My phosphate is showing zero on the Hanna and my nitrates are 0.05 Salifert.

The reason I am thinking of switching salts is, I don't like some of the high alk that I get form IO and I have been battling cyano and now dino's. So I was hoping that maybe probiotic would be the way to go (would this even help?). I dose c-balance as two part and my own Mag mix...which is what Aquaforest 1+2+3 is, I think..but I am not adverse to switching. My doser is only 3 heads so didn't really want to add something else.

I was all set to try biopellets, but after some research, they sounded a little tricky for me. Maybe I should find a way to add a fuge? Little tricky in my set up but there might be a way.

I recently added 2 gals of hydroton into the sump to increase the biofilter and started to use Nitroguard as well to reduce Nitrates.

I love to have a full tank of corals and fish...but right now Dinoflagellets are killing me!

I don't know if running a fuge helps, your phos and nitrate are almost zero and also you running rowa phos, the algae in the fuge will just die....
There are a few different salt you can look into it with lower alk, or just can spend $15 dollar a Canadian tires on 1 gallon of muriatic acid....
Probiotic salt can get expensive.
Do you use Ro/di water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM

Potatohead is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree, I don't see the point of adding a fuge or biopellets if you already have nutrients that low.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
I don't know if running a fuge helps, your phos and nitrate are almost zero and also you running rowa phos, the algae in the fuge will just die....
There are a few different salt you can look into it with lower alk, or just can spend $15 dollar a Canadian tires on 1 gallon of muriatic acid....
Probiotic salt can get expensive.
Do you use Ro/di water?

I do not want to bash aquaforest salt, have no experience with it and I bet is a good product that I'll like to try someday, but at the moment want to finish my other supplies first.
Just wanted to say that switching just to a probiotic salt may do not fix your problem with algae

Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisco View Post
My phosphate is showing zero on the Hanna and my nitrates are 0.05 Salifert.

The reason I am thinking of switching salts is, I don't like some of the high alk that I get form IO and I have been battling cyano and now dino's. So I was hoping that maybe probiotic would be the way to go (would this even help?). I dose c-balance as two part and my own Mag mix...which is what Aquaforest 1+2+3 is, I think..but I am not adverse to switching. My doser is only 3 heads so didn't really want to add something else.

I was all set to try biopellets, but after some research, they sounded a little tricky for me. Maybe I should find a way to add a fuge? Little tricky in my set up but there might be a way.

I recently added 2 gals of hydroton into the sump to increase the biofilter and started to use Nitroguard as well to reduce Nitrates.

I love to have a full tank of corals and fish...but right now Dinoflagellets are killing me!

Not that I matters because 0.05 or 0.5 nitrates are fine , but the Salifert test doesn't measure low range down to 0.05 as you stated.

The Aquaforest component 123 is similar to C balance in that the mag is added to the Calcium part , the main difference is with the addition of the mineral salts. So you're dosing 3 containers of equal amounts , similar to balling system , so your 3 head doser will work great.

I agree with everyone else that if your no3 and po4 are that low already then there's no reason to try biopellets or even a fuge unless you really want to increase your bioload with more fish etc.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:37 AM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

In terms of your cyano, I have used chemi clean in the past with excellent results as I once had a cyano outbreak. If you use something like this though make sure you do it properly and don't skip any steps.