Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 AM

tobysmurf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to tobysmurf Send a message via AIM to tobysmurf Send a message via MSN to tobysmurf Send a message via Yahoo to tobysmurf Send a message via Skype™ to tobysmurf
Default ID needed - what is this?

Hello,

I am cycling my new tank and I noticed these spots on this piece of dead coral. Can someone tell me what they think these red spots are? When I first put all of this live rock in, it came with a few pieces of dead coral like this one. I am sure it didn't have those spots on it. Any help would be appreciated, whether it be good news or bad!

90g reef / 55g sump / 300 watt LEDs / CSC-120 skimmer - regal tang, yellow tang, unicorn tang, blue devil damsel, clownfish, lawnmower blenny, diamond watchman goby, yellow prawn goby, foxface, coral beauty angel, flame angel, mandarin goby, lots of inverts and LPS corals. Saving up for 300G tank :-)
Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 AM

ashr is on a distinguished road

Looks like little sponges but could be wrong. I have seen these on some of my live rock when the tank was new too.

All safe

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

could also be foraminiferans, also good

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Both very plausible IDs, also possibly coraline algae. Any way to take a closer photo?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tobysmurf Send a message via AIM to tobysmurf Send a message via MSN to tobysmurf Send a message via Yahoo to tobysmurf Send a message via Skype™ to tobysmurf

Apparently I am the worst photographer in the history of aquaculture. My crappy old Nikon and I were only able to zoom in a bit further, so all I could really do was go to manual focus and then crop the photo. Here is my attempt to make this more visible:

90g reef / 55g sump / 300 watt LEDs / CSC-120 skimmer - regal tang, yellow tang, unicorn tang, blue devil damsel, clownfish, lawnmower blenny, diamond watchman goby, yellow prawn goby, foxface, coral beauty angel, flame angel, mandarin goby, lots of inverts and LPS corals. Saving up for 300G tank :-)
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I lied, that zoomed photo confuses me more .

Nothing to worry about though, all natural in a reef tank and its not going to hurt anything.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Awesome, thanks for the peace of mind!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

They are small tube worms , i have them in my display . When they die the shells stay that color forever and are very hard so they stay on stuf for a long time . Those are probably dead ones .
Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 AM

Oh, ok. Some of the spots are getting larger every day so I was curious. I have some feather duster worms that seem to have magically appeared as well. Considering this "live" rock was left outside in buckets in Calgary from May until October I am pretty impressed that anything is alive at all.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

They are vermatid snails and I would get rid of them ASAP they will become a plague over time. I have you fed the tank yet? They will send a mucous net to catch any food or debris.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca