Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Default Coco Worms spitting out white liquid?

Hey does anyone know of what that means? I've been trying to find any article/research that tells me what this means. No luck so far.

Last night I noticed my tank getting all cloudy and then later noticed my pink coco worm was spitting almost milk streams out its crown. Wondering if this is the reason some of my corals have wilted. Did a big water change but still kept doing it lastnight. Weird It eats and feathers are always out even when its doing this...hmm...

Anyone ever encountered this before?

Maybe this is the reason why most people don't have one of these stunning creatures?

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 03-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Maybe it is releasing it's sperm/eggs into the water? Heh, you should videotape it.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 PM

Hey I bought this one from your store too. Thanks for the great price! WooHoo!

You know I did read about that and wondered hmm..... I did try to take pic's and even video cam'd it too actually. But its kinda hard to see due to tank lighting reflections and cause the milk like liquid does dissolve in the water shortly after it leaves the Coco Worms feathers.

I will try posting what I got later so everyone can see. Its the weirdest thing to see. The fact that it clouds the water so quickly is what concerned me.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Do you have more than one worm? I wonder why it would just decide to spit up like that? Anyway, skim skim skim and do a water change should keep everything happy.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 03-24-2005, 04:31 PM

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I did a big water change already & skimmer always going. I only have that one coco worm in there. The crown, pink feathers still out through the day and night. Lastnight I kept a close eye and it hasn't happened since. Weird...

I still have to go through my video & pic's and see if I can get a clear picture so you can all see. Was kinda interesting to see for sure, except what it did to the water, cloudy.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:02 AM

BrainVat is on a distinguished road

I can't be positive but this sounds like a breeding event. These guys are broadcast spawners and so they release a lot of gametes (eggs/sperm) into the water at once.

Normally anything that isn't digestible gets integrated into their tube in one form or another.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:10 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Well if thats the case then I'll call first dibs on some coco worms when they've grown up a bit
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 03-28-2005, 03:10 PM

snaggle is on a distinguished road

I am second. I want me a coco worm.