Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road
Default Stocking Suggestions - looking or that "last fish"

So I am looking for that one (or maybe two) last fish to add to my aquarium.

Currently I am lightly stocked but want to keep it that way. My tank now has a mix of softies, LPS and SPS since my upgrades to T5 and zeo.

My current stocklist as follows:

1 - Purple Tang
1 - Regal Tang
1 - Six-line Wrasse
1 - Sleeper Goby
2 - B&W Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 - Blue Tuxedo Urchin
1 - Red Starfish

I'm just not sure what else to add?

- Butterflies and Angels are out as I don't want to risk nipping.
- I love Tangs but 2 in a 90 is more than enough already
- I have thought about schooling fish, chromis, anthias etc, but a 90 is kind of small for a decent school.
- Benggai Cardinals? Perhaps but not a very active nor colourful fish

Thanks for the advice and input.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

what about a couple firefish?

my tank setup
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

What about another Wrasse? there are soo many amazing Wrasses you can't go wrong

J
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM

I've actually considered both firefish and wrasses in the past. There are indeed a number of really beautiful wrasses that seem to be readily available.

My only concern with both fish is their ability bu nature to jump.

My tank is open top with my tek light about 6 inches above the top of the eurobrace. Chances are that they would jump, hit the light, get deep fried Kentucky Fried Chicken style and then drop back in the tank

(My sixline jumped from my tank when I had MH over it and ended up on the floor, I was close by and got him back into the tank and performed fish CPR.. he survived but has been mentally retarded since:P)

On rimmed tanks I had in the past I used eggcrate about the tank but have yet to find an effective or somewhat attractive cover to a eurobraced tank

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

Royal gramma? I have a female in a 28 gallon and she seems to be very peaceful. Or maybe a dottyback?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 PM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

how about a mandarin goby?? They are beautiful and peaceful fish.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I hear you on the eggcrate thing. Maybe some kind of wood fascia that can sit around the tank, still be open top, but basically look like a canopy .. then jumpers would likely fall back in.

I agree with your reasoning however, fairy wrasses are terribly prone to jumping. I would not feel comfortable with some in an open top tank.

You know, Banggai's are often cited for being not very colourful, but .. you know what, they really have a sort of endearing quality once you have one or two. I can't quite put my finger on it ... they're pretty, and you get to know their personalities. The two that I've had over the years, have been really nice fish. The only thing is, I lost both of them to the same thing .. it's weird, not sure what or why, but they would be fine in the morning, and then in the evening I'd find them on their side in the sand, bloated. Some kind of intestinal malady? Just weird to me that both fish would die such similar deaths, years apart. One thing that they had in common was that they were exclusive mysis feeders, so I wondered if I had fed them a bad mysis or something.

Anyhow other than that though, they were neat fish. I do recommend them if you can find them, maybe hold out for captive bred though, since their wild numbers are in trouble.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Glenda just about had me sold on the cardinals on the weekend, Oceans has a few in right now but none of the literature they had (nor was their internet working) that would allow us to find out how to sex them so we could get a m/f pair. What I have found since though is that you cannot tell It has been suggested that you buy 3 or more and find if two pair off and then remove the third before it is killed.

I've tried a manadrin before but it starved as I do not have a big enough pod poulation (nor a refugium to grow them)

I've also considered foxfish but my pansy side comes out as I am afraid of getting stung, or worse my daughter as she likes to stick her hands in the fishtank when I lift her up. (I created a monster becuase now when we go to the LFS's she is at just the right height when I carry her for her to stick her hands in every tank. )

Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm not sure about "impossible" to tell apart. Difficult maybe, I don't think I can tell the difference but there is supposedly a difference. Something like males have a more bulldoggish look to their jaw. Basically, since the males are mouthbrooders, their mouths are bigger (and slightly different shape) than females' mouths. I had both females as mine, which also made me wonder if having an unpaired female might lead to them becoming eggbound. It might be better to have a pair, but then you have the problem of them trying to breed. I say "problem" because while it's cool to see fish breed, it's more work on you to raise the fry, and it's hard on the males who don't eat for months at a time while brooding. They don't hardly get their strength back up before having another brood, so very often the males end up starving to death. It's one reason I've sort of steered clear of trying a pair myself.

Mandarins can be trained onto mysis, but the onus is on you to be sure they still get enough as they're sort of ponderous about eating. ("Is this food? Is this food? Is this really food? Oh, I guess it was, because my tankmates just ate it all.") So possible to try one but a little more work for you at feeding time.

Yeah, I love rabbitfish but shied away from suggesting one for two reasons. 1) They're pigs and grow quickly. The max size of most rabbitfish are really too big for most of our tanks. One reason I've been looking for Siganus doliatus is that it's one of the smaller rabbitfish. It also happens to be one of the prettier rabbitfish, bonus. The only thing is ... well ..I've been trying to buy one now for TWO FREAKING YEARS. I ask and I ask and I ask the stores, and they never get them in. For some reason they are just not coming into western Canada. I don't know why, because they seem to be readily available south of the border.

You can try the similar Siganus virgatus though, also very pretty, and although max size is slightly larger than the doliatus, it's not by much.

Here are some pics of my 2 virgatus:

Very fast growers. The little guy I bought in December was barely 1.5" when I got him (or her). Now in March is already half the size of the larger, easily 3"-3.5" I would wager. Great personalities though, total sweethearts.

Oh and I have the same thing with my little guy putting his hands in his tank. He has to be lifted to get up to tank level but he really wants to help with feeding and all that. I don't worry about him and the rabbits though, I mean he'd have to grab the fish or something, and that's just not going to happen, they see us coming and shy away from the surface.

Last edited by Delphinus; 03-12-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM

Have they ever stung you or are you afraid of getting stung? I remeber being in Golds one day when Dennis was hit by a lionfish and that did not look like any fun.