Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Fauna marin Ultraclam and sponge power are 2 different thing. Sponge Power is made by zeovit and it's liquid and Fauna Marin Ultraclam is in powder.

I feed my clam DT live phytoplankton. Glad to known they can eat fish waste, as I had read they don't absorb anything else than phyto. That was for crocea clam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Tropic marine makes a product called "UltraClam".....and although its called "Sponge Power", the KZ product is designed also with filter feeders in mind
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I just lost my other 5 year old crocea today. It actually belonged to a friend for 1-2 years before I got it so I guess it was probably more like 7 years old. It didn't show any signs of a problem until last night when I saw it spawning. I've had clams spawn before and not die so I wasn't too concerned. Its been about 3 months since I've had a clam die... I only have two left now. A little 3"maxima and a 5" derasa.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm back in town again (and by in town I mean one of my towns) and both of my remaining clams are open, and happy looking!! Whoohoo!!! I sure am glad that I didn't toss the Maxima before I went out of town last weekend. I was VERY close to doing it. So far so good.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

Clam deaths seem to be something going on a lot this time of year. I have been hit myself with 2 clam deaths over the last two weeks. Neither of them have had pyramid snails and freshwater dips didn`t help.
It actually looked like something was deteriourating the clam from the foot up. There was no gaping or pinching in the mantle at all, until the day they died where the clam refused to even open and you could see there was something wrong with it.
I had checked all my parameters to see if there was anything in the tank and every thing came out normal.
ammon, nitrite, phosphates = 0
ph = 8.4
alk = 8dkh
salinity = 1.026
nitrates = .05

It sucks, so now I am watching my two remaining clams to see what happens with them.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 AM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Very strange. Next thing you know hundreds of birds will fall out of the sky and die... Oh wait... Nevermind...
Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Sorry I dont have time to read the full thread, however:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
BTW I've heard that a lot of people in Edmonton are losing clams lately... not too sure on the validity of this, but there it is.
I have personally heard of (first hand, like from the one who lost them) 3 other instances of multiple clam loss in the last couple weeks, and seen a few go down in a store.

I wonder if city water parameters are connected? I know it caused multiple clam deaths simultaneously in two of the cases for sure.

Cheers,

Chris