Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 10-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Dang! Those bulbs are really crammed in there aren't they. I'm gonna have to look into cramming more lights into mine, I'm sure I can get at least two more bulbs in there

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:15 AM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Correct me if Im wrong but isn't that tank too small for 2 fish and 1 shrimp? I have exactly the same 7g mini bow tank and at some point I thought that it could be a good nano but then after talking to some people from this forum I realized that i would not be able to have more than 1 fish. So, is this tank big enough for 2 fish and 1 shrimp?

cheers
Old 12-03-2006, 03:41 AM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

yes if you do a 1 or 2g WC every week, i would proably keep afew small gobys and some shrimp, crabs sence most inverts dont add mutch if anything to the bioload(and usualy help by eating left over food)some people would say 1 fish some would say 2 and some would zero its mostly a matter of personal preferance and time(like doing more or larger WC every week or have a fuge/skimmer)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 PM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef

Theres a couple factors that i have in my tank, so i avoid waste problems.
1. theres a protien skimmer. (I wet skim)
2. hang on back filter also AC300
3. its a bare bottom tank. (high flow)

4. FEEDING!
A 7G is pretty much the same as a 10G in lenght. its just shorter in depth. as for feeding. i feed my corals kent marie photo. I feed my fish every 2 days and i feed my inverts every other day. (seaweed) so i alternate feedings. My fish are healthy i havent had any problems, my tank has been established for about 4 months now.

I have no problems with algae but i did have an small issue with cyno. in which i just did a WC and rasie my rockwork off the ground. I have a high flow tank, Theres a 900 Maxi jet pushing water also in there All my corals are softies except for the torch. If your going to have a sand bed i do not suggested 2 fish, because the waste stays in the sand and the sand inst deep enough in a nano to do any denitrifying.

Im currently doing water changes every 2 weeks, but im going to start doing them monthly. (yes monthly) the point of this tank is low maintance.

AND BAREBOTTOM KICKSA$$ i will never go back to sand. I had sand in my old 50 gallon and was nothing but problems.

Ill update my pics soon as the the live stock and rock work is upgraded.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:25 PM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeef View Post
If your going to have a sand bed i do not suggested 2 fish, because the waste stays in the sand and the sand inst deep enough in a nano to do any denitrifying.
BAREBOTTOM KICKSA$$ i will never go back to sand. I had sand in my old 50 gallon and was nothing but problems.
Im going to set up my first nano within the next few days and I wonder if it would be better to go barebottom rather than having sand.

cheers
Old 12-03-2006, 11:33 PM

Fish is on a distinguished road

Gbeef,
This tank looks awesome! I can't wait to see how it develops.
I totally agree with you on BB. I wouldn't put sand in a tank unless I really wanted to keep something that depended on sand. Other than that, no way!

- Chad
Old 12-04-2006, 12:10 AM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef

Its all perosonal perference and as fish stated critters of course, but sand in a nano is more cosmetic. I love the look of sand, but when it comes to cleaning up and not worrying about tank crashes, algae, stuff detirus you can beat barebottom.

I put i a sheet of cutting board on on the bottom of my tank. for protection and for costemtic (more so protection) also read up on barebottom vs sand and keep in mind your going to setup a nano not a 100Gal tank with a 6inch sand bed. Theres a bunch of people on this board who have converted to barebottom.

If you go barebottom you can always add sand if you dont like it. removing sand from a setup is a messy job. If you also go barebottom you may want to get Aquaclear filter and stack it with Liverock. Also use RO water or goto the store and buy RO water. its only 5 bucks for 5gal.