Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

It is a Sally Lightfoot. I don't feed him anything, directly. I'm sure he gets his share of the frozen food I feed everyone else. He always seems to be picking at something.

I've seen him have lots of opportunity to grab small fish. Never shown any interest whatsoever.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

So many nice surprises in this tank. You've done things just a little differently and that makes your tank ever cooler. Love that crab!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Stevey87 is on a distinguished road

This aquarium is art.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:16 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Progess is steady...but slow. (I suppose it didn't help getting buried by snow this weekend)

I've managed to get the front-access doors installed. The idea behind these doors is to get the look of an in-wall tank, but still have front access when I need it. The doors will be painted to match the beige walls.

Still no high-tech solution to holding the doors up. As you can see, a simple prop actually does a very good job. I think I'll try to make some nice props out of stainless steel or something.

Not to dig up the past, but I am in the process of building my canopy and I like what you did. I had a question though. Does the framing sit directly on the acrylic and if it does do you need to compensate for expansion?

- Joe.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Yes, you have dug up the past!

The weight of the upper walls is carried by the tank. However, there is a layer of that foamy door sill material between the tank and the walls. I did that primarily to prevent water from splashed out the seam.

Those walls are NOT attached to the ceiling. The walls are three pieces (left, right, front) They are screwed to each other and only screwed to the surrounding walls at the back left and back right only.

If you look closely, you might be able to see the foam layer in this photo. You can also see the bolts that connect the left and right frames to the front frame.

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 AM

Default Photo updates

Things are going quite well. Nothing unusual to report...coral growing, fish growing... It is nice not to have any crisis at the moment.

Glass and sand both happen to be clean at the same time, so that seemed a good reason to take some photos!

Left:

Right:

Lance (the unicorn) as he usually struts around in the evening trying to impress somebody.

Hard to get the camera out and not take a few photos of these two.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Love the Achilles, looks nice and fat

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 AM

Default Updated FTVs

Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow Brad, the tank is looking great. I can't believe how huge your fish are! Love the gorgonians, how many different types do you have in there?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:26 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Looking fantastic! To have a large tank like yours would be a dream come true!