Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

A UV can actually tip the scales and make a difference more than you might think as long as it is appropriately sized. You want something as big as possible, 50w or up, anything less might work to clarify the water somewhat but won't be effective as a prophylactic (or whatever the correct term is for this). Ideally one with a wiper to keep the lamp tube as clean as possible and a new lamp (just like a halide or a t5 they lose effectiveness over time).
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Without starting a debate I just wanted to add that my success rate with fish "overwhelmed" with ich and UV is as follows:

With UV -> 100%
Without -> 0%

That said there are many crappy UVs out there, you need a big boy running inline to make difference.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road
Default Best of luck Marie

I got the largest coralife uv sterlizer empolyed to eliminate the ick in my tank also, I am a stronge beliver in uv sterlizer and my achilles is looking a lot better then prior to it.

I have also used a product called protomarin, the dosing regime is a bit tricky but I have saved my hippo, powder blue using this stuff. It is said to be reefsafe and even with heavy sps and clams in the tank, it really worked wonders.

Good luck on the battle. my thought on the subject is just to feed heavy with garlic and selcom, uv filter, and lastly if must "reef safe" medication.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Hang in there Doofus. You too Marie. Fingers crossed over here.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

This is the UV I have myself (and had success controlling ich with):
http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/...ct=UV-AUA00067

Your tank is bigger than the one I ran this on myself so you might want to look at a higher wattage (although the manufacturers website seems to suggest it can be used as a sterilizer on SW tanks up to 350gal. More info here - http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/produ...classic/57watt ). Bigger ones seem to double up on the lamps so 80w is really 2 40w units, 114 is really 2 57w units and so on.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

hows Doofus doing?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

He's still Ichy....all my fish are ichy even my mandarins but they seem to be all coping with it, poor things. Anthony sent me up a uv sterilizer but I haven't had the time or patience to figure out how to hook it up yet

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
He's still Ichy....all my fish are ichy even my mandarins but they seem to be all coping with it, poor things. Anthony sent me up a uv sterilizer but I haven't had the time or patience to figure out how to hook it up yet

Anthony is such a nice guy. He was lending his UV for me too. It is very easy to set it up, but you need to rinse it well first, I think Anthony never rinsed his
Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

My observations of ich

1 Ich does not appear to be fatal. My fish have 0 tolerance for ich, having gone for many years in an ich free enviroment. Doofus for nearly 6 yrs, mandarins for 5 yrs, copperband for 4+ yrs and harry the hawkfish for 3 yrs. At one point a few weeks ago Doofus was nearly white he was covered so badly, right now he is in a relatively quiet time, his body just looks like the milky way

2 Garlic does not work to get rid of ich

3 6 weeks is not long enough to build up immunity

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
My observations of ich

Garlic does not work to get rid of ich
Good to hear Doofus is still fighting it.....What kind of garlic are you using Marie?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694