Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Look into getting some of that insulating silver bubblewrap from home depot and cutting a length big enough to wrap around your tank. So if the power does go out for longer the a few hours you can put a "jacket" on your tank.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:01 AM

ashr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Look into getting some of that insulating silver bubblewrap from home depot and cutting a length big enough to wrap around your tank. So if the power does go out for longer the a few hours you can put a "jacket" on your tank.
haha smart idea!

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 AM

squibege is on a distinguished road

I got a backup UPS at Best Buy as well. One set of outlets are surge protected and the other set are on the back up. It said up to 4h of power, but my two jeabo power heads use it up in 90min
Old 10-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Buy one battery operated pump for each tank you have, a bunch of D cell batteries for those pumps and you won't need a generator if its a short term power outage. The pumps will keep the water circulating and oxygenated.

Anthony
Old 10-13-2016, 02:45 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibege View Post
I got a backup UPS at Best Buy as well. One set of outlets are surge protected and the other set are on the back up. It said up to 4h of power, but my two jeabo power heads use it up in 90min
How many VA is your UPS? Yea I won't be running a heater just going to use one single jerbow rw25 power head on it. Should be enough to keep my 110 fully stocked tank alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Buy one battery operated pump for each tank you have, a bunch of D cell batteries for those pumps and you won't need a generator if its a short term power outage. The pumps will keep the water circulating and oxygenated.
Anthony
I was also thinking about getting the automatic battery powered air pump that kicks on by itself when power is lost. Much cheaper route but UPS is good too cuz I can plug other things in it in case of emergency. Maybe I should use both UPS with power head and the air pump or will that be overkill?
Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 AM

squibege is on a distinguished road

Mine is 1000va

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2016, 02:55 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
2 minute run time @ 900 watts, 13 minutes @ 450 watts. Do a bit more math using powerhead specs & you'll have your runtime. Seems like a lot of $ for hardware that won't run a decent size powerhead for very long. For $200 you'll get a good sized inverter . Hook that to a car battery or better yet a deep cycle & you're good for much longer. If you need to buy a battery, of course cost will be more, but you'll have a better setup. The batteries in UPS units like this are cheap & scary.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:47 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

if you only plan on running a power head for circulation another option is what I do and that is just a cheap battery powered air pump. you can leave it on 24/7 or turn it on when bad weather is coming