Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 PM

jws444 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recent Order Questions...

"The right is supposed to be the Star polyp, and left the mushroom which look nothing like thier pictures..."

I'd be really shocked if they came out of the bags fully with polyps fully extended! Your green star polyps looks perfect. They also 'sleep' at night retracted like this too. Your mushroom will expand 2-3 times the size, so don't worry about it.

If you buy 'real corals' instead of frags, you'll just have bigger pieces with retracted polyps intead of small pieces with retracted polyps. Since your tank is still quite new, i'd avoid buying mother colonies. Especially with softies. There's really no reason to buy them since they grow like mad. You'll be trimming excess star polyps in no time at all.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM

clownchick22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recent Order Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws444
"The right is supposed to be the Star polyp, and left the mushroom which look nothing like thier pictures..."

I'd be really shocked if they came out of the bags fully with polyps fully extended! Your green star polyps looks perfect. They also 'sleep' at night retracted like this too. Your mushroom will expand 2-3 times the size, so don't worry about it.
I'm glad to have you all answer my questions. I have never ordered any corals before so I had no idea what to expect other than what I saw in pictures. Learned something new today

Thanks all.
I will take pics when they all wake up
Old 04-09-2005, 05:03 AM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen

Don't worry about your Star polyps if they don't appear even in a few days. When I got my tank I had a huge rock covered in this purple growth. Everyone said it was star polyps, but after a week of watching I figured they must have died off during the move. After about 2 weeks a few reluctant heads started to open up, I was very excited to say the least. They eneded up being Brown star, but still pretty.

Thats them after 1 one month. Today you can no longer see the rock anless they are all closed.

So give them time to adjust, and yes they will slowly cover everything they can. Most people keep them on a seperate rock on the substarate.
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp