Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-02-2005, 10:13 PM

jws444 is on a distinguished road

I don't think any anemone would survive in a new tank from a new aquarist. (with not enough lighting to boot) He's probably in that 'buy buy buy' mode after watching Finding Nemo. lol. If he's dead set on buying an anemone, let him try out a condylactis (sp?) and see how long it lasts. They're cheap and abundant in nature. It's better than having him kill a blue carpet anemone that could've lived a long and happy life in the hands of a more experienced aquarist. It'll also save him 100 bucks. JMHO.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:33 PM

Gools is on a distinguished road

I think I steared him away from buying one. But now he is going to go buy a couple of cleaner shrimp. But you are right he does want to, buy, buy, buy. he wants the finding nemo tank. with a hippo. And it's only a 50g tank. I keep telling him it's to much, he already has 7 fish in there. chromis's and percs. I figure he wants what he wants, nothing I can do but give him the best advice available. Thanks guys, and gals.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 AM

meltdownaverted is on a distinguished road

I was one of those who bought a blue carpet after only a month. The only problem was lack of lighting. With a young tank it will need more frquent feedings, but is totally possible. BUT with those lights you might as well just buy one and whip it against a wall. It would be easier to handle than watching it slowly die. I have heard of people keeping anemones under NO's but you need a little more experience to do this. Do your researcha nd make an informed opinion. Many people have tried and failed at keeping an anemone under sub par lights.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:38 AM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltdownaverted
With a young tank it will need more frquent feedings, but is totally possible.
Why would an anemone need more frequent feedings in a young tank? Wouldn't that just increase the bio-load for a barely established tank, maybe even causing a cycle of some sort?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:29 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

In my experience a newbie should be able to keep BTA's. Another easy anemone is the condalactus, they are cheep and require very little light. I kept both types under 100 watts of NO lighting and they were fine.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041