Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default Did my new monster green slimer almost kill my hammer?

Suspect

Victim

So I just bought a monstrous sized green slimer yesterday about 1.5ft tall. I gave it a revive dip yesterday and pour some tank water over it to rinse a bit n put it in tank. Normally I would fully emerge a coral that's been revive dip to clean off the chemicals n the slime that comes out of it but this thing was too monstrous to fully emerge( was almost a 5g bucket tall) it was sliming like crazy given that it is a green slimer. This morning I woke up to half my hammer totally screwed up and many heads head. It was al covered in slime. I'm guess the slime from the green slimer went onto it n suffocated it? I took out the hammer n rinsed off all the slime n turkey blasted it. What else can I do to save it?

Last edited by jason604; 01-28-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Cut off the affected branches/heads and have those separate from the healthy heads. It looks like brown jelly disease is already present and that can spread to the healthy heads. I would toss the affected heads out, but if you want to try to save them, at least have them separated from the healthy parts of the hammer colony.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Cut off the affected branches/heads and have those separate from the healthy heads. It looks like brown jelly disease is already present and that can spread to the healthy heads. I would toss the affected heads out, but if you want to try to save them, at least have them separated from the healthy parts of the hammer colony.
how can brown jelly disease occurs n kill overnight. It's rly clear slime exactly like what came off the green slimer.

Lol yes jelly amazing slimer colony indeed. The slimer is currently on the far right of my tank simply CUZ it's too massive to put anywhere else n I'm afraid it will brown out due to not enough light there but there is no more slime coming out of it. Hammer was right in the middle of my tank. The side that got affected was on the side of the slimer. I'm going to wait a few more days until I chop off the dead heads just incase it revives cuz I do see tiny poylps still inside some of them while others r totally gone
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

Wow, nice piece! where did you get such a monster?

I would have to say that yes the slimer probably did that. Was it very close to it? Is there still a lot of slime coming off it (the slimer)? It looks good in the picture. I find it surprising that the slimer could do that as they are usually on the low end of the stinging scale, but with enough slime, I guess its possible.

As for your hammer, the damange is done. You did the right thing by getting rid of any left over mucus. If there is any life left on the head, it will grow back, but whats did is dead.

If the sliming has stopped and they is enough separation between the two then that should be the end of the damage.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM

acanthurus is on a distinguished road

My bet is also brown jelly.. Euphylia are really susceptible to it. Yes brown jelly can occur overnight and kill pretty rapidly.. Your best bet would be to QT affected corals and separate healthy and sick heads within. Speaking from experience this is just what it looks like, I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

also acroporids have a meaner sting than you'd think. I had a beautiful single head frag of a gold torch. An A. secale broke free of it's epoxy above it one night and I woke up to it resting partially on the crown to torch. The torch was almost entirely melted, just tiny pieces of tissue hanging off the edges. The acro wasn't even scratched.

If they weren't touching, however, it probably couldn't do that. +1 to everyone who says cut away the dying heads.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:00 AM

Wow never expect a Acro to kill a torch. That's just crazy!! Anyways here's a updated pic of my hammer. Up until yesterday it was producing slime n I had to constantly turkey blast it, today it had stopped. So do u guys think the front right heads r savable? Every other heads looks rly healthy and he back heads on the right side seems to fully healed.

Last edited by jason604; 02-01-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Nope, when Euphyllia look like that, cut your losses and cut them out. Damaged heads like that will almost assuredly die and may succumb to brown jelly disease. If that happens, it will jump from head to head, killing off healthy heads.

You are risking your healthy heads to try to salvage heads that are 90% dead already.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:33 PM

input80 is on a distinguished road

+1