Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Which in all honesty, is where stuff like that belongs.
TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp.
What about one of those "thermometers" that sticks to the outside of the tank (its like a long rectangular sticker and the temperature turns green when it hits the right number)? I know they're pretty cheesy but they're also pretty accurate

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
What about one of those "thermometers" that sticks to the outside of the tank (its like a long rectangular sticker and the temperature turns green when it hits the right number)? I know they're pretty cheesy but they're also pretty accurate
I thought of one of those. But I figured they arn't to accurate.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
I thought of one of those. But I figured they arn't to accurate.
I use a number of different thermometer types including the stick on cheapies. IME, the stick on is within half a degree Celsius (yes I prefer C over F) of the two digital thermometers in the display. I've seen plenty of threads with folks reporting that the digitals are off. No type of thermometer is foolproof. One of the ones I liked the most was in fact a floating glass thermometer/hydrometer combination. The hydrometer part of it was accurate as well when compared to my refractometer. It's well established technology, needs no batteries etc, the drawback being that they're breakable as you've experienced.

As far as accuracy, how much is really needed in the hobby? I often see folks reporting a salinity of 1.0264 on their refractometers. What's up with that last decimal point? The scale makes it almost impossible to read off that level of accuracy, it's at best a guess. If you just need a quick check to ensure you're heaters aren't malfunctioning, a stick on thermometer will do that for you nicely. Even if it's off a few degrees, it will keep you in the 'ballpark' so to speak.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I use a number of different thermometer types including the stick on cheapies. IME, the stick on is within half a degree Celsius (yes I prefer C over F) of the two digital thermometers in the display. I've seen plenty of threads with folks reporting that the digitals are off. No type of thermometer is foolproof. One of the ones I liked the most was in fact a floating glass thermometer/hydrometer combination. The hydrometer part of it was accurate as well when compared to my refractometer. It's well established technology, needs no batteries etc, the drawback being that they're breakable as you've experienced.

As far as accuracy, how much is really needed in the hobby? I often see folks reporting a salinity of 1.0264 on their refractometers. What's up with that last decimal point? The scale makes it almost impossible to read off that level of accuracy, it's at best a guess. If you just need a quick check to ensure you're heaters aren't malfunctioning, a stick on thermometer will do that for you nicely. Even if it's off a few degrees, it will keep you in the 'ballpark' so to speak.
GOOD POINT! Well said! I do have digital thermometers ($15 a piece new) that I use for my tub transfers. I have found them to only last me a few months before they go, battery goes low, salt build up on the probe, or water splashes on them. However the gauge reads a bit inaccurate at times against the same brand thermometer but as long as its close. I used glass cause I used it against the others to see what is correct. Especially when the digitals read all different in the same water. It's time for a controller!

Dear Santa... Let me explain. Hehe

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.