Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Flatworm eradication plan!

So, a few weeks ago I noticed some of them brown flatworms in a low flow corner of my tank. I siphoned them out and have been pretty on top of them... that is until now. I think I am starting to lose this battle...

I've read up on all the different methods to get rid of the buggers but I need a bit of a strategy... because I move tomorrow! (the tank will be moving a few days after). Now I am planning on replacing the sand with a nicer, finer sand in the process of redoing the tank so I am not too worried about eradicating the flatworms from the sand but I sure as heck don't want them in my rocks and in the new tank.

How would you approach this? I am debating treating the whole tank with Salifert and carbon before moving OR doing a Salifert dip as I disassemble/reassemble the tank. I figure that dipping as I move would reduce the chemical stress from the dying flatworms on the other livestock but I don't know if dipping and moving would be too much stress for the livestock attached to the rocks.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts

yellow wrasse will eat them. and 6line. i have had better luck with the yellow wrasse.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...13&pcatid=2113
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...386&pcatid=386
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Ya, I'm planning on getting a wrasse when I put the new tank together, however, I would like to get rid of these things before or during the move. I doubt a wrasse could polish them off in just a couple of days.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You Can use a blue shield. I think JL has them.

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have read about all of the natural predators. I plan introducing a wrasse in the new tank anyways and will get a shield nudi if needs be. More what I am wondering though is... I move this tank in 2 to 3 days; What is the best way to get rid of these things so I don't bring them into the new tank?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 PM

iansfishy is on a distinguished road

cant do it. I tried the same thing when I moved ( dipping every piece of rock and coral) in a really heavy solution of salifert. Like the whole dropper to a 28 gallon bucket. Then a rinse in new salt water. Didnt have any worms for like two days but soon after they where back and are now stronger then ever. I have a yellow wrasse and a six line as well, but I have never seen either of them eat a worm. Best to move and then worry about them in the new tank in my opinion
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Dang. I had a feeling that'd be the case. Would you still recommend a dip before putting them in the new tank or just manually remove them before moving?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 PM

iansfishy is on a distinguished road

If I had to do it again I would have waited till I had stuff in the new tank. It was ALOT of work and moving rock and coral in and out of water, only to have the same result soon after. One of the things I did do though was to put a filter sock in my sump, and syphon the flatworms from the tank into the sock every once in a while. That way you dont need to do a water change every time you syphon the little basterds. I would use a power head and blow as many out of the rocks as you can syphon them out etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansfishy View Post
If I had to do it again I would have waited till I had stuff in the new tank. It was ALOT of work and moving rock and coral in and out of water, only to have the same result soon after. One of the things I did do though was to put a filter sock in my sump, and syphon the flatworms from the tank into the sock every once in a while. That way you dont need to do a water change every time you syphon the little basterds. I would use a power head and blow as many out of the rocks as you can syphon them out etc.
+1 I'd wait too. The treatment and the tank move might be a bit all at once. I'd wait till the new tank is settled and bite the bullet in a week or so.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

I've never used it, but apparently Coral Rx works well as attested to in this Advanced Aquarist article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/4/aafeature2

If you try it, post back here; I'd like to hear what you thought.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.